Newbie LILO problem

Post by Jef » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for taking a look. I have tried 3 times to install Redhat 5 all
by itself. It goes all the way to installing LILO then gives me a
message that it cannot continue. I can only boot to a floppy. I read
somewhere else to give the command "vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1" at the
boot prompt. That gets everything going ok. Can you please give me
some remedial help? I am completely new to linux.

intel p133
western digital 203mg HD
syquest EZ135
Macronix mx86200 2mg video
kingston ne2000 compatible

Jeff

Newbie LILO problem

Post by Pork E. Pig » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Thanks for taking a look. I have tried 3 times to install Redhat 5 all
> by itself. It goes all the way to installing LILO then gives me a
> message that it cannot continue. I can only boot to a floppy. I read
> somewhere else to give the command "vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1" at the
> boot prompt. That gets everything going ok. Can you please give me
> some remedial help? I am completely new to linux.

Ok, do the above command (the "vmlinuz root=.........." part of it).
Once you have it running, cd /etc and edit lilo.conf to read:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.32 (read note below)
        append="mem=xxM"    {read note 2}
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only

NOTE: look in /boot and see what vmlinuz is called and replace the above
"image=/boot........." line to have your correct version there. If it's
a stock install, it's most likely just the same as the above. Also,
other images may be required (for instance, one for WIN95, NT, OS2, etc)
and should be added here before the next step.
NOTE 2: This line needed if you have more than 16MB ram. Add the total
amount here. If only 16MB or less, remove this line.

After making sure lilo.conf is set up properly, type

        lilo

Unless you have a problem with your hard drive (like some other disk
manager on your mbr) it will write the boot process there. Then it will
default to linux when you boot.

--
WIN95: Where did you think you were going?

1. Newbie: LILO problems

LILO has *never* worked for me.   It always freezes after 'LI',
regardless of the type or size of drive.  I can use a floppy disk to
boot, but that's, well, embarrassing.   I'm using Red Hat 6.0.  I've
tried putting LILO either in the MBR and on the first partition, neither
works.

Now, the LILO FAQ says this is a problem with drives over 1024
cylinders.  The drive I'm using now is only 512 MB, and it's exactly
1024 cylinders so I doubt that's the problem.

What else could it be??

Thanks
Leif B

--
Leif Bloomquist  B.A.Sc.           |  leifb (at) robominer (dot) com
Research and Development Engineer  |  Phone: (905) 713-3700 x713

"May you live in interesting times" - Ancient curse

2. X Server hangs

3. Newbie Problem: LILO and kernel recompiles

4. How to quote in crontab

5. Red Hat 5 Partition LILO/DOS/NTFS problem newbie needshelp.urgent

6. POP or PPP for Xenix?

7. Problem Installing (Mandrake 6.1) LILO Under Win98 2nd Edition (newbie)

8. AMILO D 7800 Fujitsu-Siemens ATI Radeon Mobility M6P Suse 7.3

9. newbie, problem launching gnome, installing lilo

10. LILO problem newbie Install ok but doesn't load LINUX

11. Newbie MkLinux Pre3 lilo.conf SCSI problems

12. newbie has problem installing lilo

13. RH 4.2 LILO boot problems. Newbie needs help.