Help: Bad superblock mounting 20gb drive.

Help: Bad superblock mounting 20gb drive.

Post by titomarti.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



I am unable to mount a new drive and could use some help.

The drive is a Maxtor 52049U4 -- which is a 20gb drive.  Reading all of
the FAQs and HowTos has let me know that the drive size isn't a problem
to linux.  The BIOS recognizes the drive fine, and even linux has
recognized it.  I've run fdisk and everything seemed fine, but I am
still unable to mount the drive.

After configuring the drive to a single partition, I tried multiple
(smaller) partitions; I've set the starting sectors to different areas
of the drive; I've tried formatting and mounting as a FAT32 and NTFS
drive also; I've even tried another (identical) drive.  Nothing has
worked.

Here is what I've been getting when I try to mount:

   Executing: /bin/mount -t ext2 -o exec,dev,suid,rw /dev/hdb1 /mountDir
   * mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1
   *     or too many mounted file systems
   * return 32

The drive is fdisked as follows:
   fdisk -l /dev/hdb

   Disk /dev/hdb: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2586 cylinders
   Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

      Device Boot   Start   End    Blocks  Id  System
   /dev/hdb1            1  2586  19550128+ 83  Linux

Running e2fsck produces
   Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backip blocks...
   e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdb

   The superblock could not be read or does not describe a corect ext2
   filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
   filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the
superblock
   is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
        e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

So I did that (e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdb) and received the exact same
thing.

Other specs:
Linux version is Redhat 6.1
I'm a relative Linux newbie
The box is a workgroup web/news/file server

Thanks in advance for your help

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Help: Bad superblock mounting 20gb drive.

Post by titomarti.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Got it!  The magical command is mke2fs <device>.

Run the magic command before mounting and be done with it.  Hopefully
this helps someone else.



> I am unable to mount a new drive and could use some help.

> The drive is a Maxtor 52049U4 -- which is a 20gb drive.  Reading all
of
> the FAQs and HowTos has let me know that the drive size isn't a
problem
> to linux.  The BIOS recognizes the drive fine, and even linux has
> recognized it.  I've run fdisk and everything seemed fine, but I am
> still unable to mount the drive.

> After configuring the drive to a single partition, I tried multiple
> (smaller) partitions; I've set the starting sectors to different areas
> of the drive; I've tried formatting and mounting as a FAT32 and NTFS
> drive also; I've even tried another (identical) drive.  Nothing has
> worked.

> Here is what I've been getting when I try to mount:

>    Executing: /bin/mount -t ext2 -o

exec,dev,suid,rw /dev/hdb1 /mountDir

- Show quoted text -

Quote:>    * mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1
>    *     or too many mounted file systems
>    * return 32

> The drive is fdisked as follows:
>    fdisk -l /dev/hdb

>    Disk /dev/hdb: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2586 cylinders
>    Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

>       Device Boot   Start   End    Blocks  Id  System
>    /dev/hdb1            1  2586  19550128+ 83  Linux

> Running e2fsck produces
>    Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backip blocks...
>    e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to
open /dev/hdb

>    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a corect ext2
>    filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
>    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the
> superblock
>    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
> superblock:
>            e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

> So I did that (e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdb) and received the exact same
> thing.

> Other specs:
> Linux version is Redhat 6.1
> I'm a relative Linux newbie
> The box is a workgroup web/news/file server

> Thanks in advance for your help

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Help: Bad superblock mounting 20gb drive.

Post by Marc Andre Seli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



>    Executing: /bin/mount -t ext2 -o exec,dev,suid,rw /dev/hdb1 /mountDir
>    * mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1
>    *     or too many mounted file systems
[...]
> Running e2fsck produces
>    Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backip blocks...
>    e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdb

This is probably a silly question, but you did run mke2fs on the
freshly created partitions, didn't you?  It's just that these error
messages look exactly like those you would get if you partitioned the
drive (with fdisk) but neglected to create filesystems (with mke2fs).

Also, of course, you should not run `e2fsck /dev/hdb' (as you
apparently did) but `e2fsck /dev/hdb1'.

 
 
 

Help: Bad superblock mounting 20gb drive.

Post by titomarti.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


You're almost exactly right.  I hadn't run e2fsck at all.  Once I saw
the error everything worked like magic.

Hey -- I'm still new at this.  Thanks for the assistance though.




> >    Executing: /bin/mount -t ext2 -o

exec,dev,suid,rw /dev/hdb1 /mountDir

Quote:> >    * mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1
> >    *     or too many mounted file systems
> [...]
> > Running e2fsck produces
> >    Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backip blocks...
> >    e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to
open /dev/hdb

> This is probably a silly question, but you did run mke2fs on the
> freshly created partitions, didn't you?  It's just that these error
> messages look exactly like those you would get if you partitioned the
> drive (with fdisk) but neglected to create filesystems (with mke2fs).

> Also, of course, you should not run `e2fsck /dev/hdb' (as you
> apparently did) but `e2fsck /dev/hdb1'.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.