SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

Post by David Franci » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 06:25:11

Hello,

I have installed RedHat7.1 and have read the release notes and recent
postings. When I do a netstat -a I get:

tcp        0      0   host.domain.com:smtp                  *:*    LISTEN

I have uncommented the DAEMON OPTIONS in the sendmail.mc and rebuilt the
sendmail.cf. I have also left the line in with the following and received
the same netstat result:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA') "
and
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=*, Name=MTA') "

There is nothing in the host.deny file. I added SENDMAIL:ALL to the
host.allow file as suggested by release notes. I have tried stopping
IPCHAINS services(even though the rules look good).

What do I have to do to get the following from netstat -a:

 tcp        0      0        *:smtp                  *:*    LISTEN

Thanks in advance...David

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 12:50:18

> Hello,

> I have installed RedHat7.1 and have read the release notes and recent
> postings. When I do a netstat -a I get:

> tcp        0      0   host.domain.com:smtp                  *:*
> LISTEN

> I have uncommented the DAEMON OPTIONS in the sendmail.mc and rebuilt
> the sendmail.cf. I have also left the line in with the following and
> received the same netstat result:

> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA') "
> and
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=*, Name=MTA') "

> There is nothing in the host.deny file. I added SENDMAIL:ALL to the
> host.allow file as suggested by release notes. I have tried stopping
> IPCHAINS services(even though the rules look good).

> What do I have to do to get the following from netstat -a:

>  tcp        0      0        *:smtp                  *:*    LISTEN

> Thanks in advance...David

Read the RELEASE-NOTES on the install CD 1.

Post by David Franci » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 14:42:52

> Read the RELEASE-NOTES on the install CD 1.

======== snip from previously read RELEASE-NOTES========
o Sendmail -- By default, sendmail does not accept network connections from
any host other than the local computer. If you want to configure sendmail as
a server for other clients, please edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and change
DAEMON_OPTIONS to also listen on network devices, or comment out this option
all together. You will need to regenerate /etc/sendmail.cf by running:

Great. Read it. I've also read sendmail-cf/README, the man pages, Redhat's
web site, Sendmail.org, Yahoo search, and all the newsgroup postings. If
RTFM would've helped me, I wouldn't resort to a newsgroup post... which is
always my last resort.

I cannot find anything that tells me how to configure the DOMAIN_OPTIONS to
listen on network devices for ALL local domains, not just the default
domain.

Thanks...David