Changing Default Color Depth in RH 6

Post by Gregory Kreyme » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

How do you change the default color depth from 8 bpp to 16 bpp in RH 6.0 so
that when X starts up in runlevel 5, you get more colors?  I remember in RH
5.2 this used to be editing the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file.  Has this
changed now that gnome is used?  Any help would be appreciaited.  Thanks!

Greg K.

Post by Vilmos Sot » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

> How do you change the default color depth from 8 bpp to 16 bpp in RH 6.0 so
> that when X starts up in runlevel 5, you get more colors?  I remember in RH
> 5.2 this used to be editing the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file.  Has this
> changed now that gnome is used?  Any help would be appreciaited.  Thanks!

> Greg K.

Hi,

On my RH 5.1 system I changed the /etc/X11/XF86Config file. I added

DefaultColorDepth 16

to the relevant screen section.

Good Luck, Vilmos

1. Changing Default Color Depth w/ RH 6.0

Okay, what gives?  I used to be able to change the default color depth in RH
5.2 by editing the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file - by  adding an -bpp 16 tag to
the end of the line.  Now I can't change the color depth when doing the same
thing in RH 6.0.  Did something change?  Am I supposed to edit another file?
Is xdm even running?  I noticed that gnome is using a whole new set of
files.  I can't figure it out though.... please someone knowledgable help
this idiot out.  Thanks!

Greg K.

2. INDIA-BELGAUM: Day 1 - GNUBeLUg '03

3. Changing Default Color Depth in RH 6

4. errors compiling ntalk

5. Changing default color depth.

6. Forwarding e-mail while i'm away- HOW TO?

7. Changing the default color depth...

8. Anyone running rdist ?

9. Changing Default X Color Depth w/3DFX

10. Changing the default color depth in X ?

11. Default colour depth in Xfree86..how to change when X starts automatically at boot?

12. How do I change color depth in RH Linux 5.2?

13. Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?