Two hard drives to a single hard drive

Post by Chris Cayetan » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have RH5.2 running on a 1.5GB and 3GB hard drive.
I would like to consolidate into a single 8GB (or bigger) hard drive.
The partitions (ie. /usr, /home, /opt, etc) are spread out between the two.

Is it possible to consolidate?
What is the best way?

Please help...thanks.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by Juergen Hein » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I have RH5.2 running on a 1.5GB and 3GB hard drive.
>I would like to consolidate into a single 8GB (or bigger) hard drive.
>The partitions (ie. /usr, /home, /opt, etc) are spread out between the two.

>Is it possible to consolidate?

Sure.

Quote:>What is the best way?

It depends ...
SCSI system, so no problems with more than 2 disks :: plug it in,
create all the partitions, mount the whole tree on /mnt, say /mnt,
/mnt/usr, etc. and then like I like it ...

find / -depth \( -path /proc -o -path /mnt \) -prune -o -print | \
cpio -pvd /mnt
... and do not forget to edit /mnt/etc/fstab and such.

Then create a kernel disk ...
cat /boot/vmunix (my kernel here) > /dev/fd0H1440
rdev /dev/sdc# (would be the 3rd scsi disk and # as the root
device on it).

Umount /mnt/usr/... and so on.

Reboot using the floppy and see whether it comes up fine.

If you cannot use more than 2 disks another machine and a
kernel with NFS support will be helpful (the way I bootstrapped
my machine here, no distrib) or if you've got a tape drive, even
better.

In any way, do not delete all before you know it works and you
might keep a second disk, even you do not need it. It's nice
to spread the load a bit.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

  \ Phone Private : +44 181-332 0750              \                  /

1. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

Hi everybody,
I have two hard drives, their capacities are 4.3 Giga byte and 3.2 Giga
byte. And I would like to merge these two hard drives into one hard
drive in order to mount them to directory "/usr" in Linux . But I don 't
know how to do that. please tell me what softwares I can use for that,
and where I can download them as well as how to set up it. If you have
spare time, please tell me as much details as posible.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ha Le (Vietnam)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Quick Slackware install questions

3. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

4. Ether trouble LinuxPPC R5

5. can't mount hard second hard drive

6. 420R CPU module

7. copying hard drive to hard drive

8. PCI wireless recommendation

9. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

10. Hard Drive to Hard Drive Copy

11. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

12. Once a Linux Hard Drive ALWAYS a Linus Hard Drive???

13. how to increase single drive size with new hard drive