error message

Post by crono » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

I keep getting a bunch of " /dev/hda3(and so on) was not cleanly
unmounted, check forced"   on boot up...it takes really long time to
boot up too, any ideas?

thanks

--

ParaDigm Design

http://www.charm.net/~chronos/cronos1.html

error message

Post by Arne Hueggenber » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

> I keep getting a bunch of " /dev/hda3(and so on) was not cleanly
> unmounted, check forced"   on boot up...it takes really long time to
> boot up too, any ideas?

> thanks

> --

> ParaDigm Design

> http://www.charm.net/~chronos/cronos1.html

This usually means that the system wasn't shutdown properly.
With linux you cant just turn the power off but have to shutdown the
system properly so all the system processes can be shut down properly.
The message you describe means that linux assumes that your system
crashed and is now checking the filesystem for inconsistencys.
you can shut down the system properly withthe command 'shutdown -h now'.
further info you can get with 'man shutdown'

regards,
Arne Hueggenberg

1. Error message continuous error messages

The error message "lp: Driver configured but no interfaces found" keeps
being printed on my screen.  It is from something I tried to do with lp.

How can I kill whatever is causing it.  I did a ps -fe, but I don't see
any process that looks like that.  This happened after I tried printing a
test page.

What should I do?

Greg

2. virtual mail?

3. Error Message of Message Queue

4. Help TELNET into LINUX

5. strange error messages in message log

6. What is a good modem for Linux?

7. We are getting this error message /var/log/messages

8. Interesting Multiple-OS problem...

9. Error message of message log

10. kernel error message "martial message"

11. Knoppix X-Window terminated error message on start up message question

12. We are getting this error message /var/log/messages

13. KDE error message in messages file