How to diable "Ctrl-Alt-Del" from normal users?

How to diable "Ctrl-Alt-Del" from normal users?

Post by Chi-Jang Hua » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

    I have installed Slackware 3.0 on my PC and would like to disable
the "Ctrl-Alt-Del" from normal users to prevent them from rebooting,
though it will reboot the system nicely.  Is there any way to do this?
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

    Regards,

    --Chijang Huang.

=========================

Post by Andries Brouw » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:     I have installed Slackware 3.0 on my PC and would like to disable
: the "Ctrl-Alt-Del" from normal users to prevent them from rebooting,
: though it will reboot the system nicely.  Is there any way to do this?
: Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Assuming Ctrl-Alt-Del is bound to the "Boot" action, what happens
can be set using the utility "ctrlaltdel": either an immediate
(unclean) reboot, or a signal SIGINT sent to init.
Of course, everyone wants the latter.
Then what init does upon receiving this signal is determined by
an entry in /etc/inittab (that may be called something like pf or ca,
depending on your version of init). There may be a line like
"/sbin/shutdown -rfq now > /dev/console < /dev/console 2>&1"
but you may put any command there, like
"/bin/echo "no reboots allowed" > /dev/console".
If root really wants to reboot, she has to use the shutdown command.

See ctrlaltdel(8), init(8), inittab(5), shutdown(8).

1. How to diable "Ctrl-Alt-Del" from Normal Users?

Hi,

    I have installed Slackware Linux 3.0 on my PC.  I would like to diable
the "Ctrl-Alt-Del" from normal users to prevent them from rebooting, though
it will reboot the system nicely.  Is there any way to do this?  Any
suggestion is highly appreciated.

    Regards,

    --Chijang Huang.

=========================

2. DHCP Questions.

3. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang

4. printer config on old Altos

5. my PC doesn't reboot after "reboot" or "ctrl-alt-del"

6. Checking open ports

7. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang...

8. Univ-Ingres or Postgres?

9. Why can "ctrl+alt+del" cause problems with shutdown?

10. How to disable "CTRL+ALT+DEL" keys combination ?

11. switch to "ALT" from "CTRL"

12. block ctrl-alt-del for other users

13. How to distinguish "robot" and "normal user" in WWW?