Installing Linux on Win 95 machine

Post by Howard Che » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

  I just got a new computer with Win 95 "b" on it.  I would like to install
Linux on it.  I have read through many of the HOWTO's on this matter,
and here is my plan of attack:

  1. Wipe everything off the hard drive.
  2. repartition hard drive, install Win 95.
  3. Install Linux on a separate partition.
  4. Install LILO

I have two questions:

1. In one of the HOWTO's that I read, it says that LILO will not work with
   Win 95 "b".  Is this still true with the newest LILO?  I would like to
   use LILO instead of LoadLin if possible, since I am already familiar
   with it.

2. I am running Linux 2.0.30 on another system.  I can find the VFAT
   filesystem support.  Is this FAT 32 or just FAT 16?

Thanks

Howard

--

4th year Honors Comp. Sci.       URL   : http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~hcheng/

Math is like love -- a simple idea but it can get complicated.
                                          - R. Drabek

1. Network between Win 3.11/Win 95 machine and Linux machine

        The problem that I have is that I want to use internet stuff, and
other junk from my linux machine, but my modem is on the WIN 3.11 machine.
Currently I am running a network when both computers are w\running
workhgroups and this works well, but due placement of phone lines, I can't
get a connection to the room where the linux machine is. It is the superior
machine as well, so obviously this would be advantagious.
        Put shortly

        I want to link my linux computer to my windows 3.11 computer and
running use the internet.  And if possible the printer (HP 540).

Thanks in advance
Please mail responses to

Thanks

2. User can't mount CDROM & Floppy

3. Win 95 machine - installing Linux?

4. When booting I get "L010101010101...."

5. Installing Linux on Win '95 machine?

6. System V r.4 versions question

7. Need Help Installing Linux on a Win 95 Machine

8. partition install help

9. Installing Redware Linux on a Win '95 machine

10. Installing Linux on Win 95 machine

11. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

12. Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT