Does StarOffice 5.2 work on RH 7.2?

Post by Doug Dell » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 01:12:12

I installed a clean RH 7.2 selecting all modules and got everything
working fine.  After a few days I decided to install the StarOffice
5.2 CD that came in my Red Hat box.

The install was a bit flacky and semi-hung a few times.  I rebooted
and started again avoiding problem areas (like browsing for directory
to install to).  First problem then was that I can't find any icons to
run the program from - it said something about updating KDE menu but I
run Gnome, although since I installed KDE as well there is a KDE menu
but no StarOffice.

When I run StarOffice by browsing to find the executable it runs up ok
but after a while just hangs systems completely and I have to power
off.  All other software runs fine.

Is there some incompatibility between RH 7.2 and StarOffice?

Doug

Does StarOffice 5.2 work on RH 7.2?

Post by SEARogu » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 05:36:28

Hello,

I downloaded it from their site & it installed fine for me on RH7.2.  Maybe
it is flaky from the CD ?  I've seen it happen before.
Best Regards,

Tony

Quote:> I installed a clean RH 7.2 selecting all modules and got everything
> working fine.  After a few days I decided to install the StarOffice
> 5.2 CD that came in my Red Hat box.

> The install was a bit flacky and semi-hung a few times.  I rebooted
> and started again avoiding problem areas (like browsing for directory
> to install to).  First problem then was that I can't find any icons to
> run the program from - it said something about updating KDE menu but I
> run Gnome, although since I installed KDE as well there is a KDE menu
> but no StarOffice.

> When I run StarOffice by browsing to find the executable it runs up ok
> but after a while just hangs systems completely and I have to power
> off.  All other software runs fine.

> Is there some incompatibility between RH 7.2 and StarOffice?

> Doug

1. I am having troubles installing StarOffice 5.2 from the RedHat 7.2 distribution

I am trying to install StarOffice 5.2 from the Red Hat 7.2 distribution
and it ain't working.  I already found the installation instruction on
Red Hat's site, at http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/gotchas/7.2/

Here are two attempts:

glibc version: 2.2.4
  error:  invalid compressed (deflated) data for libone569li.so

libvos1GCC.so:  write error (disk full?).  Continue? (y/n/^C) y

glibc version: 2.2.4
file #0:  bad zipfile offset (can't find local header sig)

writer.bmp:  write error (disk full?).  Continue? (y/n/^C) y

The instructions explicitly say don't run this as root, and actually
running it as root doesn't seem to work either.

Or.... should I bad StarOffice and use Koffice instead?

Many thanks,

Jeff

2. Network card deactivationg and can't activate it...

3. AHA 1542 Scsi not working under RH 6.1; worked fine under RH 5.2

4. Thoughts on Cross-Posting

5. Tulip Driver worked under RH 5.0, doesn't under 5.2 or SuSE 5.2, any ideas?

6. suse compilation problems (suse 6.1)

7. FTP RH 5.2 -> RH 5.2 = NFT (No File Transfer)

8. File checksum

9. Problem with scripts that work on RH 4.2 but not RH 5.2

10. Colorado Tape worked w/RH 5.2, not w/RH 6.2

11. RH 5.2 -> RH 6.0 Networking not working

12. StarOffice 5.1 on RH 5.2 problems

13. How to install StarOffice 5.2 in RH 6.2