RED HAT 4.1 HELP!!!

Post by Jake » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

Im tring to install Red Hat 4.1 on my

386 25MHz
8MB RAM
420HD
Wearnes CDD-120 CD-ROM

I run autoboot.bat to run setup and everything goes fine untill i get to
the "Making ext2 Filesystem on /dev/hda2"  it reads the CD and copies files
to the HD for about 5 min. and then the HD starts clicking on and off like
every half second and just sits there.  I let this go on for 3 DAYS!  And
still nothing.  Whats wrong???

My 386 has an old bios and i use EZ-Drive to boot the 420HD.  Linux
recongizes it just fine.  I have no problems with booting off the CD and
partitionting it goes fine.  ???

RED HAT 4.1 HELP!!!

Post by Jon-o Addlem » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Im tring to install Red Hat 4.1 on my

>386 25MHz
>8MB RAM
>420HD
>Wearnes CDD-120 CD-ROM

>I run autoboot.bat to run setup and everything goes fine untill i get to
>the "Making ext2 Filesystem on /dev/hda2"  it reads the CD and copies files
>to the HD for about 5 min. and then the HD starts clicking on and off like
>every half second and just sits there.  I let this go on for 3 DAYS!  And
>still nothing.  Whats wrong???

>My 386 has an old bios and i use EZ-Drive to boot the 420HD.  Linux
>recongizes it just fine.  I have no problems with booting off the CD and
>partitionting it goes fine.  ???

I had similar problems with my friend's pentium, so it's not
necessarily the old BIOS. the Pentium is a NEC machine, if it's any
help to anyone. The really strange thing is that the first time it
started installing a few packages before the freeze. That was repeated
several times and stopped in exactly the same spot each time. Then I
recopied all the files back to the win95 partition (Off of my
computer, after plugging the HD in). After that, it wouldn't even get
past "setting up the ext2 FS"! No clue what's happening... My only
guess is some bizzare hardware conflict, but that doesn't explain 2
different places for the crash.

RED HAT 4.1 HELP!!!

Post by je.. » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

sounds like my first linux install attempt .. did U actually
select the partition u use for linux and format it, then set
it to linux type 83?

Quote:>Im tring to install Red Hat 4.1 on my

>386 25MHz
>8MB RAM
>420HD
>Wearnes CDD-120 CD-ROM

>I run autoboot.bat to run setup and everything goes fine untill i get to
>the "Making ext2 Filesystem on /dev/hda2"  it reads the CD and copies files
>to the HD for about 5 min. and then the HD starts clicking on and off like
>every half second and just sits there.  I let this go on for 3 DAYS!  And
>still nothing.  Whats wrong???

>My 386 has an old bios and i use EZ-Drive to boot the 420HD.  Linux
>recongizes it just fine.  I have no problems with booting off the CD and
>partitionting it goes fine.  ???

1. Linux Red Hat 4.1 help needed

Maybe I'm mistaken but could it be that by any chance you are actually
looking at the prompt????

I mean, user root logged in at localhost, CWD is /root and the # is usually
used to indicate the root account, too.
To me it looks like Linux is running just fine and you are logged in
perfectly fine, too.

jue
--
Jrgen Exner; microsoft.com, UID: jurgenex
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

2. Almost there....but not quite.

3. Red Hat 4.1 -- setup and comps error ????? HELP !!

4. Linux is your only hope

5. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

6. Problem with 'imlib' port.

7. Red Hat Linux 4.1 and Adaptec 2940 UW, HELP!!!

8. clone VM disk

9. Red Hat 4.1, Always IN-2000 help

10. Help Installing Red Hat 4.1

11. Please Help - Red Hat 4.1 Network Configurator for Dial-up

12. HELP: Telnet localhost 4000 with Red Hat 4.1

13. RED HAT 4.1 SB16 Config. Help.