USB printer with kernel 2.2.18...

Post by Ben Berge » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 02:28:32

I am trying to set up my epson photo 870 with redhat 7.0.  I have built
a new kernel with usb printer support and I have a lpd-o-matic filter
for my printer.  In /dev/usb there is an inode

crw-rw----    1 root     lp       180,   0 Aug 24 03:00 lp0

I used control-panel to add the printer.  When I try to start lpd I get
this

Starting lpd: Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/usb/lp0' - No
such device

So it seems like the kernel isn't recognizing the device at boot up.
Has anyone gotten a usb printer to work?  If so what did you have to
do.  This seems like a generic problem which has nothing to do with the
specific printer.  Thanks in advance...

USB printer with kernel 2.2.18...

Post by rkoeh.. » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 06:40:41

Quote:> I am trying to set up my epson photo 870 with redhat 7.0.  I have built
> a new kernel with usb printer support and I have a lpd-o-matic filter
> for my printer.  In /dev/usb there is an inode
> crw-rw----    1 root     lp       180,   0 Aug 24 03:00 lp0
> I used control-panel to add the printer.  When I try to start lpd I get
> this
> Starting lpd: Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/usb/lp0' - No
> such device
> So it seems like the kernel isn't recognizing the device at boot up.
> Has anyone gotten a usb printer to work?  If so what did you have to
> do.  This seems like a generic problem which has nothing to do with the
> specific printer.  Thanks in advance...

I had an Epson 740 and used it with the USB backport for the 2.2
kernel (this was on SuSE 6.2, I don't remember the exact kernel
version).  I'm also using a Redhat 7 system to connect to my digital
camera via USB.

The problem you describe sounds as if the usb modules are not loaded.
You can check with /sbin/lsmod, this should show something like this:

usb-uhci               19052   0 (unused)
usbcore                42088   1 [usb-uhci]

On Redhat 7.0, these two modules are loaded during boot, but you will
also need the printer module to talk to the printer.
You should be able to load it with "/sbin/modprobe printer".

I hope you are aware of http://www.linux-usb.org/ and especially the
Linux USB Guide.

I'm still trying to figure out how to load the modules automatically
when they are needed.  One way is to add "alias char-major-180
printer" to /etc/conf.modules (on SuSE) or /etc/modules.conf (on
Redhat) and edit /lib/modules/.../modules.dep to tell that the printer
module needs usb-uhci, but I'm not sure if that's the best way.

Hope this helps,
Rainer

1. USB sound with kernels 2.2.18 / 2.2.19

Hi, I had the bad surprise to spend much time with 2.2.19, trying to
figure out why it would not send any sound to my usb port, when I
reverted to 2.2.18, and then it worked. Both of them are mandrake, and I
can load the modules (audio, usb-ohci) from both of them.

Any clues ?

2. How to call zmodem ?

3. USB Mouse Problem in 2.4 Kernels - 2.2.18 Works Fine

4. Adding users

5. USB CD-R suggestions for use with kernel 2.2.18

6. pocket calculater program

7. more info on using MOL with kernel 2.2.18 usb devices

8. Which Subnet to use ?

9. how to make my imac USB keyboard work with 2.2.18 kernel?

10. Setting up USB in 2.2.18 kernel

11. Kernel way of mind (kmalloc trouble) kernel 2.2.18 mandrake 7.2 x86 arch

12. ioctl to USB under 2.2.18

13. USB connect of Visor with 2.2.18pre17