wanted: minimal linux on hdd

Post by Peter Gruendle » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:54:32

I need a minimal distribution that can be installed to a harddisk from
a few floppy disks.

It is for a thinkpad notebook that can either have a fdd or a cdrom in
its bay and is not able to boot from cdrom, and I want to install
vector linux onto it (it was there, but i decided to remove some dos
partitions and have one big ext3 partn). So i need to do a fdisk from
a fdd linux, then install a minimal bootable linux to hda1, change the
fdd for the cdrom, boot from hda, copy all the files from cdrom to
hda, change back to fdd and do the install as described by vector.

my level of expertise is far from being able to do something that
requires extensive manual configuration, so i figured what i described
above might be something that would work for me.

Does anyone know such a minimal distribution?

or can describe how to get to a minimal hdd installation from any
bootdisk?

Gru?,
daPeda

wanted: minimal linux on hdd

Post by Peter T. Breue » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:13:47

> It is for a thinkpad notebook that can either have a fdd or a cdrom in
> its bay and is not able to boot from cdrom, and I want to install
> vector linux onto it (it was there, but i decided to remove some dos
> partitions and have one big ext3 partn). So i need to do a fdisk from
> a fdd linux, then install a minimal bootable linux to hda1, change the

No, you want to put a kernel image plus loadlin.exe on the dos
partition, That's all. Boot with loadline vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc
hdc=cdrom

or something.

Peter

wanted: minimal linux on hdd

Post by Faux_Pseud » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:19:06

--
 .-'))    _  UIN= 66618055  _    (('-.  | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..-  .:" )               ( ":.  -.. ' | can only think of one way to

wanted: minimal linux on hdd

Post by Peter Gruendle » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:11:42

>> It is for a thinkpad notebook that can either have a fdd or a cdrom in
>> its bay and is not able to boot from cdrom, and I want to install
>> vector linux onto it (it was there, but i decided to remove some dos
>> partitions and have one big ext3 partn). So i need to do a fdisk from
>> a fdd linux, then install a minimal bootable linux to hda1, change the

>No, you want to put a kernel image plus loadlin.exe on the dos
>partition, That's all. Boot with loadline vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc
>hdc=cdrom

This sounds great actually. In case of vector it will probably take a
little more, because the setup tool has special prerequisites, but
i'll research into this. Maybe starting like this (seems similar to
LFS withount compiling anything *g*) will teach me a lot. That's why
I'm doing this anyway.

Gru?,
daPeda

wanted: minimal linux on hdd

Post by Peter Gruendle » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:12:50

Quote:>> I need a minimal distribution that can be installed to a harddisk from
>> a few floppy disks.

>Do a search on http://www.distrowatch.com and
>http://www.freshmeat.net/ for "floppy distribution" and see what you

I treid so on www.linux.org without much success, so maybe these two
provide more of a solution. Thx,

Gru?,
daPeda

wanted: minimal linux on hdd

Post by mjt » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:57:02

wanted: minimal linux on hdd

Post by Peter Gruendle » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:24:32

>> I need a minimal distribution that can be installed to a harddisk from
>> a few floppy disks.

>> It is for a thinkpad notebook that can either have a fdd or a cdrom in
>> its bay and is not able to boot from cdrom, and I want to install
>> vector linux onto it (it was there, but i decided to remove some dos

>did you read the instructions? you can install vector from dos and
>they also show how to create the boot/root floppies if you cd-rom
>is not bootable: http://www.ibiblio.org/vectorlinux/Qinst.htm

yes I did. It requires either a DOS partition on the HDD or both the
cdrom and the floppies both accessible at the same time.

What I have is a blank HDD (and i don't want a DOS partition on it),
and _either_ a FDD _or_ a not bootable CDROM. Vector installation does
not handle this.

thx anyway,
Peter

1. minimal work to get minimal printer working minimalling

I am an Apple Image Writer, that's right Image, not Laser.
I have a SPARC Classic. The Image writer is physically connected to the
A/B serial port, via a cable that is 25pin on the sun end, and the
appropriate 8 pin din whatever on the other. All I want to do is
print out my grocery list, nothing fancy, you see.

What is the MINIMAL thing I can do? Is this whole enterprise brain dead?
Can I get these minimal printouts without disturbing the modem port
configuration over which I labored an embarrassingly long time?

A quick well-informed fix will be immensely appreciated.

Ted Gilchrist

(BTW, the machine is standalone)

2. /dev/stdin + inted == bug?

3. Can I copy my Linux partition from Desktop HDD to mobile HDD via USB?

4. (2/3) i2c-isa, via686a and w8378x series sensors support for 2.5.58

5. Wanted: Secure, Minimal MTA (sendmail replacement)

6. Looking for a *HASSLE FREE* Linux PC

7. Minimal Distribution with X wanted

8. Trouble getting kernel to compile with sound card.

9. FYI: Tiny Linux : Linux for small foot print systems : Minimal Linux,

10. Replacing old HDD with new bigger HDD, Please help me!

11. hdd-kernel-parameters & hdd-geometry

12. Booting from HDD into ramdisk, then unmount HDD?

13. LOCAL/WANTED: Michigan: Linux Speaker Wanted