zimage and loadlin

Post by Steve Feeha » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I recently installed ZipSlack 3.6, but apparently my network card isn't
supported (Intel Etherexpress Pro 100). so I downloaded the source
package for 2.0.36 and made a zimage according to the Kernel HOW-TO
(athough I have no idea if it's any good).

Unfortunately the HOW-TO didn't say anything about what to do with the
zimage to test it once it was made. It explained how to install it with
LILO, but I'm using loadlin. Anyone have simple instructions on where to
go from here? This is my first kernel and I'm pretty new to Linux in
general. Thanks.

Steve

zimage and loadlin

Post by Mike Hah » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I recently installed ZipSlack 3.6, but apparently my network card isn't
> supported (Intel Etherexpress Pro 100). so I downloaded the source
> package for 2.0.36 and made a zimage according to the Kernel HOW-TO
> (athough I have no idea if it's any good).

> Unfortunately the HOW-TO didn't say anything about what to do with the
> zimage to test it once it was made. It explained how to install it with
> LILO, but I'm using loadlin. Anyone have simple instructions on where to
> go from here? This is my first kernel and I'm pretty new to Linux in
> general. Thanks.

> Steve

Steve,

What I do is make sure you have a boot disk (in case the new kernel doesn't
work), compile the kernel.  go to your /boot directory the current kernel
should be named somthing like vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.6.  There should also be a
link to that file named vmlinuz.  At this point you can copy the new one
/boot/vmlinuz.new or somthing of that nature. recreate the link pointing to
the new kernel ie. 'ln -s vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.6 vmlinuz.new' be careful using
the ln command with the -fs (force option) if you reverse the names it
WILL erase the file you may want.  I would suggest removing the link first
then recreating it.  Now mount the dos partition, change to the directory
you have your current kernel in, copy the original kernel xxx.sav, copy the
new kernel to the directory.

------------------------
It's better to think twice and type once rather than type once and have to
think REAL hard to get back what you just lost.

Mike

zimage and loadlin

Post by Kevin Mart » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[snip]
>> Unfortunately the HOW-TO didn't say anything about what to do with the
>> zimage to test it once it was made. It explained how to install it with
>> LILO, but I'm using loadlin.

In your loadlin command line, replace "vmlinuz" with "zimage".  If it
doesn't work, switch it back.

Put the new kernel into the same directory as the old one (you can just mv
it there).  You can have lots of .bat files that each end with different
loadlin commands and thus invoke different kernel image files.

Quote:>Steve,

>What I do is make sure you have a boot disk (in case the new kernel doesn't
>work), compile the kernel.  go to your /boot directory the current kernel
>should be named somthing like vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.6.

Mike, I've been using Linux since 0.92 and your explanation still made my
eyes cross!  Whitespace is your friend.

Did you even notice that Steve said he's using loadlin?

Quote:>------------------------
>It's better to think twice and type once rather than type once and have to
>think REAL hard to get back what you just lost.

A-men!

1. converting bootdisk to loadlin zimage

Hi,
I've got a bootdisk that works and is unusual in
that respect, since I have a system with MicroChannel,
a SCSI controller not in use, and my hard drive is
neither IDE nor SCSI but is ESDI.

I would like to use loadlin to boot from DOS, but
I can't seem to convert my bootdisk into something
that works. I tried removing the first 106 bytes
(comparing it to a zimage that does boot with loadlin
showed that the first 106 bytes of a boot disk are
a header of some type) but that was unsuccessful.

I would compile a new kernel however when I boot up
via floppy and install the proper device files for
ESDI drives, I can mount the main Linux partition,
create and delete files in it, but not (get this)
read or write them. They are all "not found".

Any suggestions?
uwuh

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Burning disk .img with Toast - some help

3. loadlin doesnt recognize dos zimage

4. FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

5. can't find zImage after a make zImage!

6. soft links....

7. I can't make zImage with "make zImage"

8. restart cron

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Difference between zImage and vmlinux ?

11. 1.1.45 -| 1.1.94 zImage problem

12. problem with as86 while making zImage

13. PPP-2.2.0e ERROR during MAKE zImage!!!!