Virtual hosts on Apache 1.1.3

Post by Tim Morga » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a Red Hat (4.2) system with Apache 1.1.3 installed.  We are using
non-IP virtual hosts.  The system was originally set up by a contractor who
is no longer available, so we are trying to do some admin ourselves.  I
have UNIX experience, but I'm kind of weak on Linux/apache.

Here is the issue: we had apache running on one IP with 2 web sites.  We
recently went through an IP address change.  I modified the httpd.conf file
with the new IP address.  After the change took place, all requests to our
server landed on the site defined as the Virtual Web site.  In the
http.conf file, I found only one VirtualHost defined, and it was this site
that always processed the request, even when the browser requested the
other site.

I put in a second virtual host definition that is the same as the
"ServerName", and this seemed to fix the problem.

In Apache 1.1.3, should I need to define a VirtualHost that is the same as
the main server?  I was under the impression that the main server (as
defined by 'ServerName' outside of the VirtualHost block) would process all
requests UNLESS they were specifically for a defined virtual host.  Any
ideas?

Also, we may be upgrading soon to Apache 1.3.  I understand that I WILL
need a virtual host defined for every site, even the 'main' site.  Correct?

Some pieces of my 'http.conf' file (names changed to protect the innocent):

ServerType standalone
Port 80
HostnameLookups on
User httpd
Group daemon

ServerRoot /etc/httpd

BindAddress www.virtualsite1.com
BindAddress www.mainsite.com
BindAddress XXX.YYY.ZZZ.AAA

ErrorLog logs/error_log.mainsite
TransferLog logs/access_log.mainsite
RefererLog logs/referer_log
AgentLog logs/agent_log

PidFile /var/run/httpd.pid

ScoreBoardFile /var/run/apache_status

ServerName www.mainsite.com

Timeout 400
KeepAlive 5
KeepAliveTimeout 15

MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5

MaxClients 150

MaxRequestsPerChild 30

<VirtualHost www.mainsite.com>

DocumentRoot /home/httpd/mainsite.com/html
ServerName www.mainsite.com
ErrorLog logs/error_log.mainsite
TransferLog logs/access_log.mainsite
Alias /html /home/httpd/mainsite.com/html/
Alias /images /home/httpd/mainsite.com/html/images/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtualsite1.com>

DocumentRoot /home/httpd/virtualsite1.com/html
ServerName www.virtualsite1.com
ErrorLog logs/error_log.virtualsite1.com
TransferLog logs/access_log.virtualsite1.com
Alias /html/ /home/httpd/virtualsite1.com/html/
Alias /images/ /home/httpd/virtualsite1.com/html/images/
</VirtualHost>

1. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

Hello.

Have been running 1.2b8 for a intranet and decided to move upto 1.3b2. I
have several name based virtual hosts that have been working under
1.2b8. After compiling and installing 1.3b2 my virtual hosts do not
work. In fact what happens is that even though DocumentRoot and default
server name is different, eg: www.serverA.net pointing to /www/default,
Apache 1.3b2 will always take me to the first defined virtual host as if
it's locked to it no matter what virtual host I try to browse. What
gives? Please post and E-Mail.

In /etc/hosts for my machines IP address I have

A.B.C.D         www.default.net www.virtA.net www.virtB.net

In ../conf/httpd.conf I have;

<VirtualHost www.virtA.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtA
ServerName www.virtA.net
ErrorLog logs/virtA.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtA.access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtB.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtB
ServerName www.virtB.net
ErrorLog logs/virtB.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtB.access.log
</VirtualHost>

--

2. RH8.0 install problem

3. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

4. Linux -> AIX Network print queue

5. Apache - Virtual Host or /etc/hosts

6. Partition table gone!

7. Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

8. RH5.1 and dynamic ip address

9. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

10. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

11. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting

12. Virtual Hosts - Apache, Digital Unix

13. Apache Query - Pseudo Virtual Hosts ?