changing hostname

Post by Danie » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 08:48:37

Could someone walk me through the steps of changing the hostname on my
computer. I am running Mandrake 8.0.
Thanks

changing hostname

Post by Bit Twiste » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 10:06:12

Quote:> Could someone walk me through the steps of changing the hostname on my
> computer. I am running Mandrake 8.0.

try the command

man -k hostname

If nothing comes back you may have to do a    makewhatis       as root.
It will run for ~3 minutes.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

changing hostname

Post by Ujwal S. Sathya » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:15:03

> Could someone walk me through the steps of changing the hostname on my
> computer. I am running Mandrake 8.0.
> Thanks

You can also set the HOSTNAME variable in /etc/sysconfig/network

Ujwal

changing hostname

Post by Wayne Polloc » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:49:06

The hostname of a computer lives in RAM.  To change it use the
"hostname" command.  However such a change is lost when you next
reboot.  To permanently change the hostname you must change it
in the places where the bootup scripts and other programs look
for it.  On Mandrake (like Red Hat) this is in two places:
        /etc/sysconfig/network
        /etc/HOSTNAME
If your new full hostname is www.foo.com, then:

        # echo 'www.foo.com' >/etc/HOSTNAME'
        # vi /etc/sysconfig/network
           change the line
             HOSTNAME="localhost.localdomain"
             HOSTNAME="www.foo.com"

The hostname may also be set in various configuration files,
such as httpd.conf (for apache web server), sendmail files (several
of them), and the various /etc/host* files to name a few.  Finally,
user home directories may contain references to the current
hostname in .x initialization files and .rhost files.

Hope this helps!

-Wayne

> Could someone walk me through the steps of changing the hostname on my
> computer. I am running Mandrake 8.0.
> Thanks

changing hostname

Post by Joe Blogg » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 20:06:31

You could also try someting along the lines of...

find  / -exec grep 'hostname.localhost' {}   \;  > /tmp/temp_file

This shoud bring you all the files that contain your hostname that you may
wish to edit at your own peril - or at least give you a rough idea of what
you may have to reconfigure!

changing hostname

Post by Hwy 10 » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:36:42

> > Could someone walk me through the steps of changing the hostname on my
> > computer. I am running Mandrake 8.0.

> try the command

> man -k hostname

> If nothing comes back you may have to do a    makewhatis       as root.
> It will run for ~3 minutes.

> --
> The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
> If the above breaks your system, it's yours and you keep both pieces.
> Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.
> Do a,  man command_here or cat command_here, before using it.

Say we change the host name, what other things does this effect?

--

changing hostname

Post by Davi » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 06:04:44

> Say we change the host name, what other things does this effect?

Some of the files that would need to be changed would be:

/etc/HOSTNAME
/etc/hosts
/etc/sysconfig/network

You could use "netcfg" to make the changes if your system has it and you
are running X. It gives you a GUI for making the changes.

I'm not sure but after making the changes you may have to restart the
network for the changes to take affect.

ID # 123538

1. Changing Hostname Broke SMC

I recently did a sys-unconfig on my Solaris 10 box for several reasons.
 One reason was to change the hostname.  Since doing so, the Solaris
Management Console can't load the toolbox - it keeps looking for it
under the old hostname.  And if I do manually open the toolbox from
/var/sadm/smc/toolboxes/this_computer, the tools don't work.  What can
I do to fix this?

I read somewhere that I need to use SMC Edit, but I still can't figure
out the details.  Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,
Dan

2. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.shell

3. CDE cannot login after changing hostname...

4. composite sync

5. changing hostname value

6. Evaluating BMC Control-SA Software

7. Wrong posting: Changing Hostname made my Linux Box go crazy, Correction here

8. EXMH available for Linux/X11 ?

9. How to change hostname under Solaris8 static?

10. change hostname

11. How to change hostname etc ..

12. changing hostname/it's impact on xemacs and sendmail.

13. Changing hostname???