Using an old PC as a terminal

Post by ghay.. » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

How might one connect an old PC to a Linux box as
a terminal?  I've heard that I should use a serial cable
between them, then run a terminal program on the
terminal.  Okay, but how do I tell my Linux box that
I've got a terminal out there on /dev/cua0?  Does
it have to do with getty?

Grady Haynes

Using an old PC as a terminal

Post by Benjamin Ha » Sun, 25 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>How might one connect an old PC to a Linux box as
>a terminal?  I've heard that I should use a serial cable
>between them, then run a terminal program on the
>terminal.  Okay, but how do I tell my Linux box that
>I've got a terminal out there on /dev/cua0?  Does
>it have to do with getty?

>Grady Haynes

I managed to do that with my slackware linux.
I use agetty. Have a look at your /etc/rc.local/rc.S script and uncomment the
apropriate lines. I guess I was using /dev/ttyS0 for a nul modem cable attached
to my pc's COM1: interface. There is an addiational important parameter for
agetty (-t I hope) which holds up the line even if no carriarer signal is
present. Read the agetty man page for that one.

Benjamin.

************************************
            Benjamin Haas

    Dept. of Computer Science &
 Dept. of Medical Radiation Physics
  University of Berne, Switzerland
************************************

Using an old PC as a terminal

Post by Crui » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >How might one connect an old PC to a Linux box as
: >a terminal?  I've heard that I should use a serial cable
: >between them, then run a terminal program on the
: >terminal.  Okay, but how do I tell my Linux box that
: >I've got a terminal out there on /dev/cua0?  Does
: >it have to do with getty?
: >
: >Grady Haynes

: I managed to do that with my slackware linux.
: I use agetty. Have a look at your /etc/rc.local/rc.S script and uncomment the
: apropriate lines. I guess I was using /dev/ttyS0 for a nul modem cable attached
: to my pc's COM1: interface. There is an addiational important parameter for
: agetty (-t I hope) which holds up the line even if no carriarer signal is
: present. Read the agetty man page for that one.

Works with all the getty's, but dont forget to make a special gettyde for
it in the etc/default dir

: ************************************

--

                         BBS: 904-672-8974 Cruise Controll * BBS

1. I would like to know for *really* old PCs (was: Starting UNIX using old PCs)

the number one thing that you would learn on a machine of that class running
 any unix is patience, especially if you want to program, I have a 386sx with 4
 megs, used mostly as a print server now, but when I compile things on it, I
 measure compiles in hours, e.g. a kernel compile took 18+ hours, that same
 compile is 20 minutes on my 486dx4 133 w/20 megs....

2. I want to a different background for different users

3. Using an old PC as a terminal

4. Audio software wanted

5. Using old PC as dumb terminal

6. mail problem with aix 3.2

7. Using an old PC as a terminal

8. iptables

9. Using an old PC as a dumb terminal?

10. Q: Using old pc as terminal?

11. old pc's as terminal-like devices ...

12. An Old 386 Pc as X terminal conn via ethernet?

13. Connecting old PC (DOS) as terminal to Linux