PS2 third party three button mice?

Post by Paul Tombl » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have a Crapard Bell computer running Linux (RedHat 4.0).  The mouse that
came with the computer is utter *and I want to replace it.  (In fairness
to Packard Bell I should point out that the machine and mouse were old when I
bought them).  It's a PS2 style mouse, and both gpm and XWindows have had no
problem with it.

So I bought a three button mouse that advertised on the box that it was PS/2
and serial compatible.  It had a switch on the bottom to choose Microsoft or
Mouse Systems mode, and an adaptor on the end to convert the 9 pin serial
connection to a PS2 AUX connection.  I shut down the machine, unplugged the PB
mouse, plugged the new one in, and started it up again.  Being full of
confidence, I went straight into X Windows, but all I got there was a black
screen and no response to Cntrl-Alt-BackSpace.  I had to reboot again, and
this time I tried gpm.  No luck.  Tried with different switch settings.  Still
no luck, and I noticed also that the PS2 AUX driver (which is compiled as a
module) wasn't even getting loaded.  I tried compiling the kernel so that AUX
driver support is builtin, not a module.  Still no luck.  It doesn't even
recognize a AUX device on boot up.  I tried flipping the switches on the
mouse.  Still no luck.

I tried the mouse in the serial port, and gpm recognized it as either a
MicroSoft mouse or a Mouse Systems mouse, depending on the switch settings.
No problem - except I don't have a serial port to spare, because I normally
use that port for a vt220 terminal.

So I went out and bought ANOTHER mouse, this one that's all PS2, with no
serial option.  This one at least is recognized as a AUX device on boot-up,
but gpm has had no luck communicating with it.

Is there a problem with aux port mice that aren't PS2 mice, or what?  I'm
baffled here.

--
Paul Tomblin, Contract Programmer.
I don't speak for Kodak, they don't speak for me.

"You are in a twisty maze of Motif Widget resources, all inconsistent."

1. Three Button PS2 Mouse??

Hi,

     I recently purchased a computer with a PS2 mouse. Is it possible to take
my old mouse systems three button mouse and use it as a three button mouse
using the PS2 port? I have the adapter, but am not sure what needs to be done
with Linux to make this work. I would greatly appreciate any help that you
could provide.

                                            Thanks,

                                            Rick Crow

2. Sony multi-disk changer control?

3. middle mouse button on three button mice

4. Sun managers

5. third button event using 2 button mouse

6. sendmsg() vs write()

7. KeyMouse 3-button mouse - anyone get the third button working?

8. umask and FTP

9. Three button mouse problem (only works in 2 button mode) ?

10. 2 button mouse (how to get third button)

11. Three-button mouse via mouse port?

12. Three-button mouse, again?

13. Q: Three-button mouse support?