HELP: Compiling ELF apps which use a.out libs

HELP: Compiling ELF apps which use a.out libs

Post by Leonard E » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Is it possible to compile programs under ELF system which use
pre-compiled a.out libraries?

The source code to these libraries are unavailable - so am I
going anywhere here?

Are there options to gcc to allow this?
Any help will be appreciated.

Please e-mail responses.

--
Leonard Els

Post by John Got » Sun, 19 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Is it possible to compile programs under ELF system which use
>pre-compiled a.out libraries?
>The source code to these libraries are unavailable - so am I
>going anywhere here?
>Are there options to gcc to allow this?
>Any help will be appreciated.
>Please e-mail responses.
>--
>Leonard Els

It's in the libc release notes.

Compile with:

-b i486-linuxaout

as a gcc command line switch.

i.e.

gcc -b i486-linuxaout -o foo foo.c

--

Computer Aided Engineering Network, Systems Group        Phone: +1 313 936 1985

HELP: Compiling ELF apps which use a.out libs

Post by Grant Johns » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I have the same problem under a new installation of RedHat 2.0.  It was
installed with support for a.out, but that didn't create the i486-linuxaout
directory structure in /usr/lib/gcc-lib.

So, after loading libc-5.0.9, binutils-2.5.2l.17 and gcc-2.7.0 from the
tsx-11.mit.edu site, I was still missing /usr/lib/crt0.o.

I grabbed that from my old Slackware 1.2.1 installed it and now get:

/usr/i486-linuxaout/bin/ld: cannot open -lc: No such file or directory

It's late, I'm tired.  Am I missing something really silly? Am I making
 this harder than necessary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grant Johnson

Post by Tom Temper » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>Is it possible to compile programs under ELF system which use
>>pre-compiled a.out libraries?

>>The source code to these libraries are unavailable - so am I
>>going anywhere here?

>>Are there options to gcc to allow this?
>>Any help will be appreciated.

>>Please e-mail responses.

>>--
>>Leonard Els

>It's in the libc release notes.

>Compile with:

>-b i486-linuxaout

>as a gcc command line switch.

>i.e.

>gcc -b i486-linuxaout -o foo foo.c

>--

>Computer Aided Engineering Network, Systems Group        Phone: +1 313 936 1985

Hmmm. I thought the original request was to create an ELF executable that
used a mix of a.out and elf libraries.

SunOs does this with -Bdynamic and -Bstatic switches. It would seem that it
COULD (not that it currently is) be possible, but the resultant executable
would be larger than if it was all elf.

--
Cheers....

Thomas Tempero                          Design Acceleration, Inc

                                        1530 Highway 52 N, Suite 1076
                                        Rochester, MN

Post by Michael Meissn » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

| >Is it possible to compile programs under ELF system which use
| >pre-compiled a.out libraries?
|
| >The source code to these libraries are unavailable - so am I
| >going anywhere here?
|
| >Are there options to gcc to allow this?
| >Any help will be appreciated.
|
| >Please e-mail responses.

qualified domain name, so here goes.

Assuming you meant static a.out libraries, what you have to do a prefix all
calls and global names in the library with an underscore, because the a.out
compiler does that (and ELF does not).
--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Support (East Coast)
Suite 105, 48 Grove Street, Somerville, MA 02144, USA

1. a.out lib to ELF lib converter

No, there is none.  ELF reserves one of the registers in shared libraries
to make the code relocatable, so you have to recompile.  It may be possible
to write a converter for static libs, but I haven't looked into it.  One
of the best ideas I've heard was to write an a.out stub lib that calls the
related ELF lib, so you could have a tiny a.out libc and libm for mixed
systems, but I don't think this has been done, and it doesn't sound like
what you're looking for.

--PC

--
/********************************************************/
/* "You only live once.  Unless you take pictures.      */

2. In vi mode as in emacs mode?

3. linking a.out libs on an ELF system... help

4. oops - detailled information plz

5. Wcl ELF and compiling ELF libs?

6. Query on upgrade of Linux kernel

7. HELP: compiling a.out under ELF

8. Mail forwarding

9. HELP-Can't compile a.out after installing ELF support

10. Guru help wanted for compiling libc4.7.2 (a.out shared lib)

11. converting a.out lib to elf , how?

12. Determing wether lib is elf or a.out