Unable to create boot disk to install Linux over BSD on Intel sys

Unable to create boot disk to install Linux over BSD on Intel sys

Post by Mike Stampe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does anyone know how to install Linux over BSD on an Intel system? I am
having problems creating a image boot disk. Any ideas? "make bImage",
"make bzImage", and "rawwrite"? don't work. There is an error in the
"Makefile" file where it looks for the .config file. Not sure what is
wrong. Is there a site that I can download an image boot disk?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by Matthew Vanece » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Does anyone know how to install Linux over BSD on an Intel system? I am
> having problems creating a image boot disk. Any ideas? "make bImage",
> "make bzImage", and "rawwrite"? don't work. There is an error in the
> "Makefile" file where it looks for the .config file. Not sure what is
> wrong. Is there a site that I can download an image boot disk?

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

If you are trying to install Linux and not have BSD anymore on the
system, then your best bet is to use the boot and install disks/images
provided by the various distributions.  How to do this is *very* well
documented in many, many places, in "How to install Linux" documents.

What it sounds like you have been trying to do is compile a Linux
kernel.  And it sounds like you are pretty clueless about that.  There
is a pretty decent Linux Kernel HOWTO (try www.linuxhowto.com) on how to
compile a Linux kernel.  You may want to give that a read.  ALso, most
of the "Running Linux" type books have instructions for that.  It's not
hard, really, once you've read the documentation.  Basically, the
.config is the configuration file that the Makefile uses in compiling
the kernel.  It is created when you configure the kernel via the "make
config" or "make menuconfig" or in X "make xconfig" commands.  This is
all pretty well documented within the kernel documentation itself, along
with the various targets you can build to (e.g., bzImage, bzlilo,
bzdisk, etc), so I'll let you take it from here.
--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis

1. Unable to boot Linux from disk (VFS:Unable to mount root)

I had installed RH6.1 on a disk connected to a Promise Ultra/66
controller. Had done so by passing the I/O addresses of ide2 and ide3 at
the LILO boot prompt. Was able to boot until I had to drop one of the PCI
cards from the PC. Now I can only boot from the boot floppy using the I/O
addresses and the kernel recognises the drives on the Ultra/66, but when I
try the same with the installed kernel, I get a VFS: Unable to mount root
message. Any pointers??

2. Can't telnet among home LAN and to my own box?

3. Creating boot disk for RS/6000 to install SuSE PPC Linux

4. Squid+squidGuard: connection refused after uninstalling squidGuard!

5. How to create boot disk for Intel platform?

6. Modem problms

7. Creating a boot Disk for RH5 when DOS and RH linux installed.

8. lpr problems

9. FreeBSD install on sys with win95, win 95 on c: / bsd on e: / no bootmgr installed

10. How to create floppy disk to install Solaris 7 on Intel 86

11. recommended SYS V and BSD systems for Intro Sys Admin course

12. Unable to install Slackware 2.2.0 with boot/root disks

13. Unable to install -- boot disk hangs