Four hard drives, one RAID controller, Windows and Linux--Where to start??

Four hard drives, one RAID controller, Windows and Linux--Where to start??

Post by Scott Gardn » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:19:13

I just purchased a copy of RH 7.0, and will be installing it on my
computer shortly.  I'm trying to decide what route to take as far as
where/how to install it on my computer.

Here are my requirements for where I want to end up:

1) Dual-boot between Linux and Windows ME
2) Sufficient space on the Linux side of the house to run the
operating system and try out different applications.

Here's what I have now:
1) A Promise Fastrak 100 RAID controller with two IBM 45Gb ATA100
drives, set up as a single 90Gb virtual drive (RAID 0) and allocated
completely to WinME

2) Two extra hard drives lying around, one 8Gb and one 10Gb.  Both are
currently empty.

3) All of my applications and data are fully backed up and restorable.
(Backup medium is CD-R, so while I can restore it all, it may take a
little while.)

I'm trying to decide how best to configure the hard drives for my
upcoming Linux installation.  This will be my first hands-on
experience with installing Linux, so consider my (lack of) experience
and abilities when you answer, please. (grin).

Promise, Inc. has drivers on their site for using the Fastrak100 RAID
controller with RH 7.0, but I have no evidence if or how well they
work, not knowing anyone else that's running Linux with this card.

The way I see it, I can leave the RAID array that I have alone, and
install a second RAID 0 array for Linux, using the 8Gb and 10Gb
drives, giving me a virtual 16Gb drive for RH 7.0 to install to.  This
is assuming that the RH drivers for the RAID card work as promised.
(The RAID card supports four drives, so no problems there.)

Or, I can install one or both of the extra hard drives on my
motherboard's built-in controller and use it/them for Linux
exclusively.  Question is, will I still have to install the RH drivers
for the RAID card even if I don't plan to install Linux on any of the
hard drives being controlled by the RAID card?

Third option, wipe my two 45Gb hard drives, set them up on the
motherboard's built-in controller as two separate drives, remove the
RAID card from the system, and use one drive for Windows and one drive
for Linux.  This would leave me a little short of space on the Windows
side of the house, and I really don't think I need 45Gb to evaluate
Linux, but the option is there.  Also, I've gotten spoiled having the
RAID 0 in Windows, and would rather not lose it.  I'm really only
considering this option if the Linux install absolutely refuses to
co-exist on the computer with the RAID card installed.

Lastly, I could re-size the 90Gb RAID array I already have, and try to
install Linux on the newly-available space.  I have about 60Gb free on
the array, but I don't have any programs that will non-destructively
shrink the RAID partition, so I'd rather not go this route.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm getting e*d about setting up
Linux.  I would just slick both hard drives and install Linux
exclusively, since I think this would be the best way to learn, but
due to some home networking issues, I need to have the dual-boot
feature between WinME and Linux.

Thanks a million,
Scott Gardner

Four hard drives, one RAID controller, Windows and Linux--Where to start??

Post by Will » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 07:50:41

I would not mess with setting up a raid array for linux.  10gb is more than
enough to install and play with any distribution out there.  I have a 3gb
linux partition and have installed both RH7 and Mandrake on it with room to
spare.  The FastTrack drivers for RH7.0 work great, but you don't need them
unless you are installing linux on the RAID array.  I have linux running off
of a drive connected to my motherboard, so i don't need the drivers
installed for my FastTrack, but it is nice to be able to access the files on
the array.  Using a boot floppy is the easiest way to boot your computer if
you decide to go my way and just run linux off the motherboard controller.

If you are worried about space, even with the 10gb, you can always install
the FastTrack drivers which i'm sure you will when you install, and use the
space on your 90gb array to store music, downloaded files, whatever you
want.  Remember, you can use your windows partition from linux w/ no
problem, just not the other way around.

Quote:> I just purchased a copy of RH 7.0, and will be installing it on my
> [...]

> side of the house, and I really don't think I need 45Gb to evaluate
> Linux, but the option is there.  Also, I've gotten spoiled having the
> RAID 0 in Windows, and would rather not lose it.  I'm really only
> considering this option if the Linux install absolutely refuses to
> co-exist on the computer with the RAID card installed.

> Lastly, I could re-size the 90Gb RAID array I already have, and try to
> install Linux on the newly-available space.  I have about 60Gb free on
> the array, but I don't have any programs that will non-destructively
> shrink the RAID partition, so I'd rather not go this route.

> Any help would be appreciated.  I'm getting e*d about setting up
> Linux.  I would just slick both hard drives and install Linux
> exclusively, since I think this would be the best way to learn, but
> due to some home networking issues, I need to have the dual-boot

1. Four Operating Systems on ONE hard drive??

Hi,

Is it possible to install FOUR operating system on a single hard drive.  I
want to try, if it is possible.

As of now, I have a hard disk of 120GB upon which, I have installed
following operating systems

1. WinXP Pro - 20GB
2. Win2003 Enterprise Edition - 20GB
3. Solaris x86 - Intel version - 10GB

I want to make another primary partition and install LINUX.  Before
starting, I want to make sure the possibility.  I don't want to screw up the
running system.

RG

2. problem with telnet session.

3. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

4. mail process

5. sco & windows, each boot from separate hard drives on one system

6. ppp problem (newbie)

7. four ide drives on single controller - need patches

8. PL14 Network System Lockup?

9. uata/udma: two drives on one controller vs 2 controllers

10. Can I use four IDE hard drives

11. four eide hard drives

12. Four hard drives

13. Four Panasonic CD-ROM drives with one SBPro?