HELP!: cdrom problem----> hdc not a valid block device

Post by jspa.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 I have been messing with a cdrom problem for a month now.
I have a Sony IDE ATAPI dvdrom in my dual os Linux box. I have had
assistance in trying to fix the problem: I can't mount it. When I try,
linux says : "/dev/hdc not a valid block device"

The drive is the master on the second IDE controller.
When I boot, this is what I get in my bootup message:

<4>PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39

<4>PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

<4>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1020-0x1027, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:DMA
<4>    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1028-0x102f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
<4>hda: Maxtor 90840D6, ATA DISK drive

<4>hdb: WDC WD84AA, ATA DISK drive

<4>hdc: QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ, ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 17)
drive

<4>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

<4>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

<6>hda: Maxtor 90840D6, 8010MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=1021/255/63

<6>hdb: WDC WD84AA, 8063MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=1027/255/63

<6>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

<6>FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

A guy with the same problem told me to put this in my LILO.conf file:
append="hdc=noautoprobe"
I updated LILO and that hasn't worked yet. I am sure that the drive is
fine as a cdrom, and it is ATAPI. I also know that he got his drive to
work, but i can't seem to myself. IF anyone can help, or has

Thanks so much,
Josh

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HELP!: cdrom problem----> hdc not a valid block device

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Did you try  mount /mnt/cdrom
or
mount /dev/cdrom

This is how I mount mine on a redhat system.
--
Due to extreme SPAM abuse! Remove z's and x's from above to reply.
Thnak the spammer's A..holes that they are. Still can't reach me?

HELP!: cdrom problem----> hdc not a valid block device

Post by noel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had a similar message "/dev/hdc is not a valid block device"
and went throught a few suggestions before fixing the problem
by reinstall of rh6 on a different spare pc I had.  However I had been
able to install linux in the first place with orig cdrom so I presume
something changed on the system.

some pointers:

-    You could try running the Linux setup and see if the setup detects
    the cdrom via probing.  if yes then there is probably a problem with
    your installation i would think.   if no,  its a hardware or driver
    problem.

    when i originall had this problem I reran linux setup and it would not
    detect the cdrom --> so I also ran nt setup to see if it detected cdrom
and it did..  so ??  I felt i had no choice but to try another pc
    as i am a newbie...

-  the iso9660 filesystem module is "isofs.o", so try doing "insmod isofs"
and see if module gets loaded (cat /proc/modules  or  /sbin/lsmod).  if it
does,  try and mount the cd.

if you cannot find isofs.o,  there is a source under /usr/src/<linux
ver>/fs/isofs/  so I presume you can do a make , make install, etc..

if the cd will not load when the driver is loaded,  the  symlink from
/dev/cdrom to /dev/XXXX  might need to be adjusted but this is very
unlikely.

i suppose you have considered the above anyway..
anyway it looks like something to do with autoprobiing  ..

good luck with it
noel.

if isofs.o is loaded

> I have been messing with a cdrom problem for a month now.
>I have a Sony IDE ATAPI dvdrom in my dual os Linux box. I have had
>assistance in trying to fix the problem: I can't mount it. When I try,
>linux says : "/dev/hdc not a valid block device"

>The drive is the master on the second IDE controller.
>When I boot, this is what I get in my bootup message:

><4>PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39

><4>PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

><4>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1020-0x1027, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:DMA
><4>    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1028-0x102f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
><4>hda: Maxtor 90840D6, ATA DISK drive

><4>hdb: WDC WD84AA, ATA DISK drive

><4>hdc: QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ, ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 17)
>drive

><4>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

><4>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

><6>hda: Maxtor 90840D6, 8010MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=1021/255/63

><6>hdb: WDC WD84AA, 8063MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=1027/255/63

><6>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

><6>FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

>A guy with the same problem told me to put this in my LILO.conf file:
>append="hdc=noautoprobe"
>I updated LILO and that hasn't worked yet. I am sure that the drive is
>fine as a cdrom, and it is ATAPI. I also know that he got his drive to
>work, but i can't seem to myself. IF anyone can help, or has

>Thanks so much,
>Josh

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

1. CDROM Error: /mnt/cdrom is not a valid block device

2. I Need Apache/Permissions Assistance

3. IDE HD "hdc is not a valid block device"?!

4. Help with reserving memory!

5. CDROM problems:not a valid block device

6. * on traceroute

7. cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

8. XWindows Tseng drivers cannot work with Acer montior?

9. CDROM not a valid block device

10. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

11. cdrom not a valid block device???

12. /dev/cdrom not a valid block device..Huh!?

13. cdrom not valid block device