problem installing debian from CD-rom SONY CDU33a

problem installing debian from CD-rom SONY CDU33a

Post by Jeroen Valck » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hey,

I'm a newbie trying to install debian on my old 486 which has a SONY
CDU33a cd-rom this is not a IDE cd-rom, instead the cd-rom is connected
with a host adapter card.
When I installed debian I had to use a diskette called drv1440.bin to
load the appropriate module, which I did correctly. The troubles begin
when I reboot my machine and want to run dselect to continue installing
the software. When I reboot I clearly see the following line " loading
modules cdu31a " So this is ok. But when I look at /dev I can't find any
reference to the cdrom instead, and this is very weird, I find a file
cdu535. cdu535 is an other type of SONY cdrom, but I haven't loaded a
module for this one. How is this possible?
When I run dselect I have to choose Acces method. I then choose cdrom. I
get following question "Insert the CD-ROM and enter the block device
name []:" I have no idea what to answer, since cdu31 isn't in /dev.
I can also choose "mounted" as an acces method but then I have no idea
how to mount the cdrom (cdu33 that is)

Anybody has a solution. Any suggestions.
All help greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

-Jeroen-

Post by Joe » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hey,

> I'm a newbie trying to install debian on my old 486 which has a SONY
> CDU33a cd-rom

> I can also choose "mounted" as an acces method but then I have no idea
> how to mount the cdrom (cdu33 that is)

I just did a search for "linux mount cdrom syntax" on dejanews and it took
me < 30 seconds to find :

mount iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

this might not work if you don't already have a /mnt/cdrom directory on
which to mount your /dev/cdrom, in which case you'll need to

mkdir /mnt/cdrom

unless I'm missing something (don't acutally have a cdrom myself so this is
possible) you should now be able to use dselect's mounted option.

Debian's installation process does take some thinking for a first-timer,
such as myself, but it's worth it

problem installing debian from CD-rom SONY CDU33a

Post by Joe » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> mount iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Oops.  I think there needs to be a -t before 'iso9660'

1. Sony CDU33A CD-ROM install problem

I remember having that same problem the first time I tried to install
Slackware on my old 486 box.
If I remember the model number of my drive correctly, I believe the CDU33A
isn't a standard IDE drive.
At least, I had it running through some wierd proprietary controller card
that came with the CD-ROM.

I eventually gave up on trying to get it to run and bought a cheap IDE
CD-ROM.

-Alexander Vogenthaler

2. xdm, xlock

3. Problems detecting Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive

4. Linux/68k-FAQ v1.3

5. automated FTPING ? ( Question )

6. Problem with SuSE 5.1 and Sony CD-ROM cdu33a !?

7. g3 and networking card not working

8. Linux still can't detec Sony cdu33a CD-Rom driver

9. Opti929s sound card & Sony CDU33A Cd-Rom

10. HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

11. WTB: Linux Cd-rom for my Sony CDU33a

12. recognizing the Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive...