New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"

New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"

Post by Rod Bric » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 05:17:32

I've just recompiled a 2.4 kernel.  It hangs during startup at "Creating
/var/log/boot.msg"

I have no idea where the culprit lies here.  Something missing in my config?
Any help would be appreciated.

Rod Brick
HillCast Technologies, Inc.
Austin, TX
(512) 474-4644   ext. 6

Post by Craig Kelle » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 05:43:33

> I've just recompiled a 2.4 kernel.  It hangs during startup at "Creating
> /var/log/boot.msg"

> I have no idea where the culprit lies here.  Something missing in my config?
> Any help would be appreciated.

Can it not mount the volume that /var/log is on?  That is often a
'doh' situation that may or may not pertain to your problem.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard

New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"

Post by Rod Bric » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:19:51

Currently, everything is mounted on the same partition.  When I boot a
default kernel (SuSE), all is fine.  It's this new kernel that's giving me
trouble.

Rod Brick
HillCast Technologies, Inc.
Austin, TX
(512) 474-4644   ext. 6

Post by Craig Kelle » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:19:34

> > > I've just recompiled a 2.4 kernel.  It hangs during startup at "Creating
> > > /var/log/boot.msg"

> > > I have no idea where the culprit lies here.  Something missing in my
> config?
> > > Any help would be appreciated.

> > Can it not mount the volume that /var/log is on?  That is often a
> > 'doh' situation that may or may not pertain to your problem.

> Currently, everything is mounted on the same partition.  When I boot a
> default kernel (SuSE), all is fine.  It's this new kernel that's giving me
> trouble.

Yes, but check that you have the filesystem that / is compiled into
your new kernel (ext2?); that the drivers needed to access / are
compiled into the kernel (scsi? ata?).

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard

New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"

Post by Rod Bric » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:53:53

Ah, I see where you're going.  You may be onto something there.  I don't,
offhand, recall even specifying a file system, unless it defaults to ext2.
I'll check it out.  Thanks.

Rod Brick
HillCast Technologies, Inc.
Austin, TX
(512) 474-4644   ext. 6

> > config?

> > > Can it not mount the volume that /var/log is on?  That is often a
> > > 'doh' situation that may or may not pertain to your problem.

> > Currently, everything is mounted on the same partition.  When I boot a
> > default kernel (SuSE), all is fine.  It's this new kernel that's giving
me
> > trouble.

> Yes, but check that you have the filesystem that / is compiled into
> your new kernel (ext2?); that the drivers needed to access / are
> compiled into the kernel (scsi? ata?).

> --
> It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard

New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"

Hmm, no, ext2 is already configured into the kernel....not a module either.

Post by Robert Davie » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:28:30

>> config?

>> > Can it not mount the volume that /var/log is on?  That is often a
>> > 'doh' situation that may or may not pertain to your problem.

>> Currently, everything is mounted on the same partition.  When I boot a
>> default kernel (SuSE), all is fine.  It's this new kernel that's giving
>> me trouble.

> Yes, but check that you have the filesystem that / is compiled into
> your new kernel (ext2?); that the drivers needed to access / are
> compiled into the kernel (scsi? ata?).

He needs to RTFM the SuSE manual, they discuss it.

Proably he has compiled a module into the kernel but is still loading it.
After doing make modules_install, he should alter modules.conf, and create
a new initrd.

Personally I prefer using initrd, to compiling drivers into the kernels,
I've found it save time and trouble when you support many machines, with
slightly differing hardware.

Makes it easy to build kernels on another machine, with the real server
sans gcc(1), for security.

Rob

New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"

Post by Ken Coble » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:01:29

I have a similar problem with Redhat 7.1.  Built a kernel (linux 2.4) via make
menuconfig, make dep, make bzImage, make install.  The new kernel itself boots,
but hangs during an initrc script.  I have traced it to a sleep statement in the
initrc script.  When init goes to sleep (i.e., sleep 1) , the kernel hangs.
The stock Redhat 7.1 kernel boots fine and processes the init scripts.

So, what am I missing during the kernel build?

> Currently, everything is mounted on the same partition.  When I boot a
> default kernel (SuSE), all is fine.  It's this new kernel that's giving me
> trouble.

> --
> Rod Brick
> HillCast Technologies, Inc.
> Austin, TX
> (512) 474-4644   ext. 6

> > > I've just recompiled a 2.4 kernel.  It hangs during startup at "Creating
> > > /var/log/boot.msg"

> > > I have no idea where the culprit lies here.  Something missing in my
> config?
> > > Any help would be appreciated.

> > Can it not mount the volume that /var/log is on?  That is often a
> > 'doh' situation that may or may not pertain to your problem.

1. Problems with "df" and "du" on "/var"

Hello,

I hope you have some help for a "UNIX-Newbie". Here is my problem:

When I start the command "df" on the directory "/var" (on a UNIX-Server with
SunOS 5.6) I get the information, that approximately 113 MB disk space are
occupied. When I use the command "du -k /var" the system says that are about
50 MB (58 MB as root) in use.
By doing the same process on other directories, I have no problems.

Can you help me? I hope so. Thanks.

Greetings
Michael

2. Q: Microfield Graphics T8 Card + Cotron Sword 19" monitor

4. Scripting & ports.

5. hang up while booting with "L020202020.." and "LI..."

6. What file format is audio CD so I can burn directly and play on boombox?

7. Kernel hangs after "Loading Linux ...." but before "Uncompressing Linux"

8. FDDI Driver for Schneider & Koch ISA network card

10. "Logging" or "Log structured" file systems with news spool.

11. "emacs" in xterm yields "BadAtom" msg. Huh?

12. New: machine hang, log file indicates "Slab corruption"

13. Kernel MSG "kernel: innd tried to do a shared writeable mapping"?