SCSI card and ide-scsi emulation: should they work together?

SCSI card and ide-scsi emulation: should they work together?

Post by John Foste » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:21:24

I use SCSI emulation on my machine (under Red Hat 7.3) for an IDE
CD-writer, and it works fine. But wanting to attach an old scanner
(Agfa Snapscan 310) which has a SCSI interface only, I just bought a
real SCSI card, advertised as Linux compatible.

After installing the card and connecting the scanner, kudzu detected
them both as new hardware and reported them correctly. But xsane,
scsi_info and sane-find-scanner all refuse to admit that the scanner
exists. It is listed as one of those supported by sane: in fact, it's
one of the earlier ones.

Looking at kudzu's database in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf (see extracts
below), the emulated SCSI seems to be registered as host 0, and the
real SCSI card as host 1. That all seems reasonable, and kudzu (to
judge by the file modification time) has set /dev/scanner as a
symlink to /dev/sgb, which is itself a symlink to /dev/sg1. But with
scsi_info, I get
# scsi_info /dev/sg0
SCSI_ID="0,0,0"
MODEL="LG CD-RW CED-8042B"
FW_REV="1.05"
# scsi_info /dev/sg1
open() failed: No such device or address
There are 16 entries in /dev for the devices sg0 to sg15, and all
except sg0 give the same response as sg1.

If I try
xsane snapscan:/dev/scanner
it puts up a dialog box with
Failed to open device `snapscan:/dev/scanner': Operation not
supported.
I click OK (the only option) and xsane simply exits.

If I try
sane-find-scanner
(even as root) it fails to find anything.

Looking around in /proc/scsi, I see the CD-writer described, but
nothing else.

Should ide-scsi and a real SCSI card be able to coexist, and if so,
does anyone have any idea what I can try next?

Extracts from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf:

# For the CD-writer
class: CDROM
bus: SCSI
detached: 0
device: scd0
driver: ignore
desc: "Lg CD-RW CED-8042B"
host: 0
id: 0
channel: 0
lun: 0

# For the SCSI card
class: SCSI
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: atp870u
desc: "Artop Electronic Corp|AEC6712U SCSI"
vendorId: 1191
deviceId: 8020
subVendorId: 1191
subDeviceId: 8020
pciType: 1

# For the scanner
class: SCANNER
bus: SCSI
detached: 0
device: sgb
driver: ignore
desc: "Agfa SNAPSCAN 310"
host: 1
id: 2
channel: 0
lun: 0

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

John Foster

Post by Philip Baile » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:38:31

> I use SCSI emulation on my machine (under Red Hat 7.3) for an IDE
> CD-writer, and it works fine. But wanting to attach an old scanner
> (Agfa Snapscan 310) which has a SCSI interface only, I just bought a
> real SCSI card, advertised as Linux compatible.

> [snip]

> Should ide-scsi and a real SCSI card be able to coexist, and if so,
> does anyone have any idea what I can try next?

The answer to the first question is yes.  On the second question, one
thought:  does your scanner have some way (jumper, switch etc) of setting
its SCSI ID?  Does it agree that its ID is 2?

Phil

Post by John Foste » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 00:33:33

>> I use SCSI emulation on my machine (under Red Hat 7.3) for an IDE
>> CD-writer, and it works fine. But wanting to attach an old scanner
>> (Agfa Snapscan 310) which has a SCSI interface only, I just bought
>> a real SCSI card, advertised as Linux compatible.

>> [snip]

>> Should ide-scsi and a real SCSI card be able to coexist, and if so,
>> does anyone have any idea what I can try next?

> The answer to the first question is yes.  On the second question,
> one
> thought:  does your scanner have some way (jumper, switch etc) of
> setting
> its SCSI ID?  Does it agree that its ID is 2?

Yes, it has a switch, and it's set to 2 so it agrees with what kudzu
detects.
Incidentally (in case it helps), the scanner was previously attached
to a Mac, and was working fine then.

John