ALSA and Crystal Semiconductor CODECS: CS4237B and Suse 7.0

ALSA and Crystal Semiconductor CODECS: CS4237B and Suse 7.0

Post by Keith Marjeriso » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 06:48:27

1st, I'm a Linux newbe, so go eazy. How do I go about getting Suse to
recognize my TidalWave128 ISA sound card. It is PnP and the 'isadump' utility
sees the card but when I try and use 'YaST2' to install 'Generic' support for
the 'CS42*' and the program stops saying the 'kernel' does not support it.
What am I doing wrong? What is a good reference for Linux ? i.e. Linux
Unleashed? Thanks for any help in advance.
/>Keith Marjerison

Post by Christopher W. Aik » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:44:48

:)1st, I'm a Linux newbe, so go eazy. How do I go about getting Suse to
:)recognize my TidalWave128 ISA sound card. It is PnP and the 'isadump' utility
:)sees the card but when I try and use 'YaST2' to install 'Generic' support for
:)the 'CS42*' and the program stops saying the 'kernel' does not support it.
:)What am I doing wrong? What is a good reference for Linux ? i.e. Linux
:)Unleashed? Thanks for any help in advance.
:)/>Keith Marjerison

:)
:)

I got my CS4232 up and running by adding the following lines
to my /etc/rc.d/boot.local file. The run the boot.local file
or reboot.

echo "Setup CS4232 Sound"
modprobe soundcore
modprobe sound
modprobe ad1848
modprobe uart401
modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=7 dma=1 dma2=3 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

Just adjust the data to fit your system.

--
Christopher W. Aiken
Scenery Hill, Pa, USA

ALSA and Crystal Semiconductor CODECS: CS4237B and Suse 7.0

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:00:35

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:44:48 -0000, Christopher W. Aiken staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:48:27 GMT, Keith Marjerison

>>1st, I'm a Linux newbe, so go eazy. How do I go about getting Suse to
>>recognize my TidalWave128 ISA sound card. It is PnP and the 'isadump'
>>utility :)sees the card but when I try and use 'YaST2' to install
>>'Generic' support for :)the 'CS42*' and the program stops saying the
>>'kernel' does not support it.  :)What am I doing wrong? What is a good
>>reference for Linux ? i.e. Linux :)Unleashed? Thanks for any help in
>>advance.

>I got my CS4232 up and running by adding the following lines
>to my /etc/rc.d/boot.local file. The run the boot.local file
>or reboot.

>echo "Setup CS4232 Sound"
>modprobe soundcore
>modprobe sound
>modprobe ad1848
>modprobe uart401
>modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=7 dma=1 dma2=3 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

SuSE 7.x uses ALSA, not the kernel OSS drivers, by default.  Chris gave
the OSS solution, which should work provided you can find the right
values for all the parameters.  Every cs42xx I've seen has used IRQ 5,
for instance, and "0" for dma2, but try various things... the worst you
can do is lock up the system.  Keith, have you tried "alsaconf"?

As for a good Linux book, _Running Linux_ by Matt Walsh (published by
O'Reilly and Associates) is a pretty good low-to-mid-level book.  If you
got the "Professional" SuSE distro, you should have a pretty
comprehensive set of manuals sitting around.  (The manuals are much less
comprehensive in the "Personal" distro.  Sigh.)  The following sites can
be very useful for Linux users:

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/
http://linuxnewbies.org/
file:/usr/share/doc/packages/

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Post by Keith Marjeriso » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:26:02

>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:44:48 -0000, Christopher W. Aiken staggered into
>the Black Sun and said:
>>On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:48:27 GMT, Keith Marjerison

>>>1st, I'm a Linux newbe, so go eazy. How do I go about getting Suse to
>>>recognize my TidalWave128 ISA sound card. It is PnP and the 'isadump'
>>>utility :)sees the card but when I try and use 'YaST2' to install
>>>'Generic' support for :)the 'CS42*' and the program stops saying the
>>>'kernel' does not support it.  :)What am I doing wrong? What is a good
>>>reference for Linux ? i.e. Linux :)Unleashed? Thanks for any help in
>>>advance.

>>I got my CS4232 up and running by adding the following lines
>>to my /etc/rc.d/boot.local file. The run the boot.local file
>>or reboot.

>>echo "Setup CS4232 Sound"
>>modprobe soundcore
>>modprobe sound
>>modprobe ad1848
>>modprobe uart401
>>modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=7 dma=1 dma2=3 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
>SuSE 7.x uses ALSA, not the kernel OSS drivers, by default.  Chris gave
>the OSS solution, which should work provided you can find the right
>values for all the parameters.  Every cs42xx I've seen has used IRQ 5,
>for instance, and "0" for dma2, but try various things... the worst you
>can do is lock up the system.  Keith, have you tried "alsaconf"?

>As for a good Linux book, _Running Linux_ by Matt Walsh (published by
>O'Reilly and Associates) is a pretty good low-to-mid-level book.  If you
>got the "Professional" SuSE distro, you should have a pretty
>comprehensive set of manuals sitting around.  (The manuals are much less
>comprehensive in the "Personal" distro.  Sigh.)  The following sites can
>be very useful for Linux users:

>http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/
>http://linuxnewbies.org/
>file:/usr/share/doc/packages/

>--
>Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
>Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
>http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
>-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

        I tried both of the above methods without any positive results. When
I modify the 'Boot.local' file there is an error message when booting. What
is even stranger is that with out any changes to the 'boot.local' file, when
my machine boots and I watch as the different devices are initialized, I can
see my Crystalizer TidalWave 128 card in the list and all of the 'Ports' and
'IRQs' and 'DMAs' are listed and initialized correctly, but I am still unable
to get sound support. I have also tried the 'alsaconf' utility with an error
that no supported sound card was found. I have no idea what is wrong. The
YaST2 program tells me to try installing with the 'OSS/Free' package, what
and where is this package?
        As far as I know this Crystalizer TidalWave 128 card uses the same
drivers for the 'Newcomm 3D' sound card in both Windoze and OS/2.
        I must say I am completely baffled.
        Thanks again for any help.

/>Keith Marjerison

Post by Keith Marjeriso » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 04:14:29

>>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:44:48 -0000, Christopher W. Aiken staggered into
>>the Black Sun and said:
>>>On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:48:27 GMT, Keith Marjerison

>>>I got my CS4232 up and running by adding the following lines
>>>to my /etc/rc.d/boot.local file. The run the boot.local file
>>>or reboot.

>>>echo "Setup CS4232 Sound"
>>>modprobe soundcore
>>>modprobe sound
>>>modprobe ad1848
>>>modprobe uart401
>>>modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=7 dma=1 dma2=3 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
>>SuSE 7.x uses ALSA, not the kernel OSS drivers, by default.  Chris gave
>>the OSS solution, which should work provided you can find the right
>>values for all the parameters.  Every cs42xx I've seen has used IRQ 5,
>>for instance, and "0" for dma2, but try various things... the worst you
>>can do is lock up the system.  Keith, have you tried "alsaconf"?

>>As for a good Linux book, _Running Linux_ by Matt Walsh (published by
>>O'Reilly and Associates) is a pretty good low-to-mid-level book.  If you
>>got the "Professional" SuSE distro, you should have a pretty
>>comprehensive set of manuals sitting around.  (The manuals are much less
>>comprehensive in the "Personal" distro.  Sigh.)  The following sites can
>>be very useful for Linux users:

>>http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/
>>http://linuxnewbies.org/
>>file:/usr/share/doc/packages/

>>--
>>Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
>>Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
>>http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
>>-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....
>    I tried both of the above methods without any positive results. When
>I modify the 'Boot.local' file there is an error message when booting. What
>is even stranger is that with out any changes to the 'boot.local' file, when
>my machine boots and I watch as the different devices are initialized, I can
>see my Crystalizer TidalWave 128 card in the list and all of the 'Ports' and
>'IRQs' and 'DMAs' are listed and initialized correctly, but I am still unable
>to get sound support. I have also tried the 'alsaconf' utility with an error
>that no supported sound card was found. I have no idea what is wrong. The
>YaST2 program tells me to try installing with the 'OSS/Free' package, what
>and where is this package?
>    As far as I know this Crystalizer TidalWave 128 card uses the same
>drivers for the 'Newcomm 3D' sound card in both Windoze and OS/2.
>    I must say I am completely baffled.
>    Thanks again for any help.

>/>Keith Marjerison

        Hi Folks;
Solved my problem with

        modprobe sound
        insmod ad1848
        insmod uart401
        insmod cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330

in my '/sbin/init.d/boot.local' file.
        Is there a list of documented arguments that can passed to the cs4232
line.
        Also, in the 'modules.conf' file , the lines to enable 'ALSA' are '#'
out. Would 'ALSA' have worked if I had removed the '#' from the 'ALSA' lines?
        Thanks again for all your help.
/>Keith Marjerison