How to format a floppy in ext2 format ?

Post by Andrew Sarang » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Is there a format command in Linux for the supported file formats
such as DOS and ext2 ?

Thanks!
--
Andrew Sarangan

Post by Juergen Exn » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

   Is there a format command in Linux for the supported file formats
   such as DOS and ext2 ?

man mkfs

Post by James B. Hill » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: Is there a format command in Linux for the supported file formats
: such as DOS and ext2 ?

For the format operation, one size fits all.  Once you've formatted,
then you put the filesystem (msdos, ext2, etc) of your choice on.

Look at the man page for mkefs (or something close to that) for
appropriate options.  Sorry if this is imprecise; been away from
home and Linux for a few weeks.

jbh

Post by Louis J. LaBash J » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

|Is there a format command in Linux for the supported file formats
|such as DOS and ext2 ?

Try "man mtools" and "man mkfs": respectively for DOS and ext2, Minix ... .

--

How to format a floppy in ext2 format ?

Post by Sebastian Bun » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Is there a format command in Linux for the supported file formats
>such as DOS and ext2 ...

Shure. First do a low level format of the diskette with
*# fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
and then prepare a filesystem on this diskette with either
*# /sbin/mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0H1440  or
*# /sbin/mkfs -t msdos /dev/fd0H1440

Thats it!
--
Cheers, Sebastian

;-)
Sebastian Bunka                 ph. (+43-1) 250 77 4208
Institute of                    FAX (+43-1) 250 77 4290

University of Veterinary Medicine - Vienna - Austria

Post by Paulo Jorge V. Dia » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a format command in Linux for the supported file formats
> such as DOS and ext2 ?

   For ext2 use the fdformat command!

-----  Blue Ribbon Campaign - Free Speach OnLine  -----

     Paulo Jorge Valente Dias
     Faculdade de Ciencias da
     Universidade de Lisboa

Post by Mark R Dawso » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a format command in Linux for the supported file formats
> such as DOS and ext2 ?

The command 'fdformat' will allow you to format a floppy, after which
you must create a filesystem on it (as you did when you installed
linux?).  The command for an extended 2 filesystem is 'mke2fs' and a DOS
filesystem is created with 'mkdosfs'.  There should be man pages for
these on your system, but mail me if you have any trouble.

Mark Dawson
Speech Research Group
University of Wales Swansea