Logical drive chain is incompatible with Dos

Logical drive chain is incompatible with Dos

Post by A OSHINEY » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

While reinstalling Suse Linux 5.2 I added some new partitions.
Unfortunately (at least according to Partition Magic 3.04) Linux fdisk
has chained the logical drives in the order they were created. Dos and
Pmagic can't understand this.
I need to edit the partition table so that the logical drive chain is in
ascending order. Are there any utilities (in either Dos or Linux) that
enable me to make these changes?

Logical drive chain is incompatible with Dos

Post by David G. Bel » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> While reinstalling Suse Linux 5.2 I added some new partitions.
> Unfortunately (at least according to Partition Magic 3.04) Linux fdisk
> has chained the logical drives in the order they were created. Dos and
> Pmagic can't understand this.
> I need to edit the partition table so that the logical drive chain is in
> ascending order. Are there any utilities (in either Dos or Linux) that
> enable me to make these changes?

I have used a DOS utility called pfdisk which could help.  It allows the
boot sector to be read and written, and you can put a copy in a file, as
well as manual editing of the partition table.

I'm not clear just what your problem is, from the description.  Is it
that, for instance, the physical location of partition 3 is between
partition 1 and partition 2?

If so, it should be possible to manually input partition table info to
get things in the right order.  I've found pfdisk to be a handy little
tool because it can save and restore copies of the boot sector, and you
should certainly do that before you try anything fancy.

I don't know where you might find the program.  My copy is dated 1991,
and I obtained it from ftp.demon.co.uk

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, and Punslinger.

1. Logical Drive Chain Incompatibilities

I recently installed Redhat Linux 5.2 on my desktop.  Unfortunately, I've
run into a problem...

During the install I used DiskDruid to create 2 partitions for Linux out of
freespace on an extended partition which already contained 2 logical drives
accessible under Windows98 and OS/2 Warp 4.0.  The final result was the
following:

Primary 1                        BootManager
Primary 2                        OS/2 Warp 4.0 (HPFS)
Primary 3                        Windows98 (FAT32)
Extended    Logical 1    Linux 5.2 (ext2)
                    Logical 2    Linux Swap
                    Logical 3    HPFS Data
                    Logical 4    FAT32 Data

At least, that's the physical arrangement on disk.  Under Linux, partitions
are arranged in order of creation, and logicals 1 & 2 in the table above are
listed AFTER logicals 3 & 4 in fdisk.

The problem: apparently, Windows and OS/2 require logical drives to be
arranged in (particular) ascending order, and now Windows and OS/2
partitioning software will not run...  Even running PartitionMagic 3.0
results in "error 120," though it notes the possible incompatibilities that
might arise between operating systems that enforce different ordering
schemes in the detailed description of that error.  The bottom line: I can
access all FAT32 drives from within Windows, but my HPFS data drive is
inaccessible from OS/2 and Linux will not boot from its partition except
when using a floppy disk.  I imagine I could fix that last if only I could
access BootManager to adjust the menu, but since PartitionMagic and OS/2
fdisk are down, I'm at a loss.  Has anyone run into a similar problem?  Does
anyone know what a possible fix or workaround might be?  Booting Linux from
disk is a pain, and I'm concerned about being able to access data under
OS/2, which is my primary operating system.

Thanks in advance!

2. Web hosting with php and MySQL

3. can't see logical DOS drives

4. another compile question

5. mounting DOS logical drives

6. unsual entry using ipchains -nL

7. Mounting logical drives in the extended dos partition

8. How do I ${watch} users logining in via a tcsh shell script

9. Seeing beyond the 1st DOS logical drive?

10. DOS Logical Drives

11. Logical DOS Drive under Linux ????

12. Mounting DOS Logical drives

13. partitioning w/ windows, dos logical drives