Linux won't recognise my internal modem.

Linux won't recognise my internal modem.

Post by Philip Stephen » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

This is likely a common question, but please don't tell me to read the
HOWTO's; I've already tried following the instructions in a number of
HOWTO's without any success.

  I have a SupraExpress 288i Plug'n'Play modem.  I would really
appreciate a concise, simple, step-by-step explanation as to how to get
Linux to recognise my modem.  Maybe someone has this very modem and has
already gone through the steps to get it to work; if so, please let me
know how you did it!

  I installed Linux from the slackware distribution on the Walnut Creek
FTP site, so obviously I've been trying to set up Linux "the hard way".
I'm not a complete novice to Unix in general, but I'm afraid I'm stumped
and could do with some friendly advice.

  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,
  Philip Stephens

Post by Nicolai Lennart Peterse » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> This is likely a common question, but please don't tell me to read the
> HOWTO's; I've already tried following the instructions in a number of
> HOWTO's without any success.

>   I have a SupraExpress 288i Plug'n'Play modem.  I would really
> appreciate a concise, simple, step-by-step explanation as to how to get
> Linux to recognise my modem.  Maybe someone has this very modem and has
> already gone through the steps to get it to work; if so, please let me
> know how you did it!

>   I installed Linux from the slackware distribution on the Walnut Creek
> FTP site, so obviously I've been trying to set up Linux "the hard way".
> I'm not a complete novice to Unix in general, but I'm afraid I'm stumped
> and could do with some friendly advice.

>   Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,
>   Philip Stephens

Try putting it om com1 it usually helps.
--
Regards.

     Nicolai Petersen

--- To open up the world ---
----- remove all Gates -----

Post by D.D. Elli » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> This is likely a common question, but please don't tell me to read the
> HOWTO's; I've already tried following the instructions in a number of
> HOWTO's without any success.

>   I have a SupraExpress 288i Plug'n'Play modem.  I would really
> appreciate a concise, simple, step-by-step explanation as to how to get
> Linux to recognise my modem.  Maybe someone has this very modem and has
> already gone through the steps to get it to work; if so, please let me
> know how you did it!

>   I installed Linux from the slackware distribution on the Walnut Creek
> FTP site, so obviously I've been trying to set up Linux "the hard way".
> I'm not a complete novice to Unix in general, but I'm afraid I'm stumped
> and could do with some friendly advice.

>   Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,
>   Philip Stephens

Is this modem a Winmodem? If it is, you will not be able to use it.
Linux (and even WinNT) doesn't support Winmodems, as they use your CPU
for a major part of their processing.
If this *isn't* a Winmodem, it should be able to accept most standard AT
commands, and you should be able to install/configure it that way.
As for step-by-step instructions, I can't help, since I use an ISDN
modem...
Sorry
--
D.D. Ellis
"I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain."

Linux won't recognise my internal modem.

Post by thev.. » Sun, 05 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >   I have a SupraExpress 288i Plug'n'Play modem.  I would really
> > appreciate a concise, simple, step-by-step explanation as to how to get
> > Linux to recognise my modem.  Maybe someone has this very modem and has
> > already gone through the steps to get it to work; if so, please let me
> > know how you did it!

                You have a Plug and Pray modem..  Linux does not support PnP devices
natively in the 2.0.x kernel. ( SOMEBODY CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG)  I
hear that they are trying to work it into to 2.1.x kernels but there is
a pnp patch the you can install to add pnp to a 2.0.x kernel..  My
honest advice is open the box find the jumper and just manual set it to
a comm port..

                                                -jay
void.erols.com

Post by William McBri » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: You have a Plug and Pray modem..  Linux does not support PnP devices
: natively in the 2.0.x kernel. ( SOMEBODY CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG)  I
: hear that they are trying to work it into to 2.1.x kernels but there is
: a pnp patch the you can install to add pnp to a 2.0.x kernel..  My
: honest advice is open the box find the jumper and just manual set it to
: a comm port..

Not only are you not wrong, yours was the only correct advice offered in
the thread. :-) That's assuming, of course, that it DOES provide jumpers
for use in non-PnP systems; I suspect it does, but it's not guaranteed.
Failing that, look for the "isapnptools" package; it's a PnP config
program for Linux. Kinda cryptic, IMHO.

--
William McBrine    | http://www.clark.net/pub/wmcbrine/html/

Post by Marko Mikulici » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> This is likely a common question, but please don't tell me to read the
> HOWTO's; I've already tried following the instructions in a number of
> HOWTO's without any success.

>   I have a SupraExpress 288i Plug'n'Play modem.  I would really
> appreciate a concise, simple, step-by-step explanation as to how to get
> Linux to recognise my modem.  Maybe someone has this very modem and has
> already gone through the steps to get it to work; if so, please let me
> know how you did it!

>   I installed Linux from the slackware distribution on the Walnut Creek
> FTP site, so obviously I've been trying to set up Linux "the hard way".
> I'm not a complete novice to Unix in general, but I'm afraid I'm stumped
> and could do with some friendly advice.

>   Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,
>   Philip Stephens

Try:

setserial /dev/modem

and see which irq it uses.
try to swich to another if it conflicts with

setserial /dev/modem irq your_irq

Don`t beleve to Plug&Pray, you have probably to set it manually.

You can try to dowload a Plug&Pray patch to the kernel and a set of
utilities
at sunsite (I don`t rememer exactly where). This way you can configure
manually a plug&pray device and stop to pray:-)

Post by Isaac Conno » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >   I have a SupraExpress 288i Plug'n'Play modem.  I would really
> > appreciate a concise, simple, step-by-step explanation as to how to get
> > Linux to recognise my modem.  Maybe someone has this very modem and has
> > already gone through the steps to get it to work; if so, please let me
> > know how you did it!

I have a SupraExpress 33.6 PnP Internal...so our modems are virtually
identical.  I found that I didn't even need to worry about the plug and
play part.   What I did is use windows 95 to see where the modem gets
put (com port, irq, address etc...), then go into Linux, and edit
rc.serial, and edit the appropriate line, setting the irq (I found that
address was never a problem) for the com port the modem was won, for me
com3, irq 10...then add rc.serial to the end of your rc.s (these are in
/etc/rc.d) so that it runs rc.serial at bootup...and then to set your
serial port to the right settings run rc.serial...and it should output
the current configuration of your serial ports...and then your modem
should work. Note: even witht hewrong irq, you should be able to get
some stuff back from the modem...find out what com port the modem is
on...com1=cua0, com2=cua1, com3=cua2 (the cua's are devices in the /dev
directory).  Make sure you have the right one of these.

If it does not work, you will have to make use of the pnputils to set
the params of your modem...you should be able to find the on
sunsite.unc.edu, and I think they are maintained on Redhat....

Isaac Connor

Post by Sid Boyc » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> This is likely a common question, but please don't tell me to read the
> HOWTO's; I've already tried following the instructions in a number of
> HOWTO's without any success.

>   I have a SupraExpress 288i Plug'n'Play modem.  I would really
> appreciate a concise, simple, step-by-step explanation as to how to get
> Linux to recognise my modem.  Maybe someone has this very modem and has
> already gone through the steps to get it to work; if so, please let me
> know how you did it!

>   I installed Linux from the slackware distribution on the Walnut Creek
> FTP site, so obviously I've been trying to set up Linux "the hard way".
> I'm not a complete novice to Unix in general, but I'm afraid I'm stumped
> and could do with some friendly advice.

>   Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,
>   Philip Stephens

        First get isapnptools from sunsite somewhere under
/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/bo, pnpdump >/etc/isapnp.conf, then edit
/etc/isapnp.conf and uncomment the relevant lines that have your IRQ and
I/O port address e.g....
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x03e8))
#       IRQ 4.
#             Low true, edge sensitive interrupt
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE -E)))
#     End dependent functions

(ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x12 (BAD)
        Then run isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
        Next use setserial, you can put the command in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial or
one of your other startup scripts.....
/bin/setserial /dev/cua2 port 0x3e8 irq 5 uart 16550A skip_test  spd_vhi
        The above is for my modem on /dev/cua2 (COM3), IRQ 5 and port address
0x3e8.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

1. Help: Linux won't recognize my modem

Hi,

I'm having problems to make linux recognize my modem. I'm using RedHat
4.2 (kernel 2.0.30). My modem is Compaq 336-VSC (internal) with irq=3
and address=0x2f8 (it's on COM2 at Win95). When starting kermit in
linux and doing a "set line /dev/cua1", the following message was
displayed:
               /dev/cua1 is not a terminal device
               Sorry, can't open connection: /dev/cua1

This happens even when I made sure that the /dev/cua1 is set with
correct parameters, i.e. "setserial /dev/cua1 irq 3 addr 0x2f8 uart
16550A".  Doing an "ls -l /dev/cua*" gives following infomation:

        crw-rw----  1 root    uucp     5, 64 Oct 11 13:37 cua0
        crw-rw----  1 root    uucp     5, 65 Dec 31  1979 cua1
        crw-rw----  1 root    uucp     5, 66 Dec 31  1979 cua2
        crw-rw----  1 root    uucp     5, 67 Dec 31  1979 cua3

Any ideas? I've already been tweaking this for quite along time and almost
give up... ;-(  Any hint will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--

School of Computer Science     WWW: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~zxyuan
McGill University              Phone(home):   (514)845-4293

2. Is UNIX file system really safe ????

3. Linux won't recognize my modem

4. kde with Blackbox as WM

5. Linux won't see internal PnP modem

6. Best Solution for BBS w/ each NameBasedVirtualHost and subdir

7. pcmcia died unexpectedly

8. Help: Linux won't recognize my modem

9. 'Toolkit for Linux' won't recognize CDROM

10. Internal modem won't dial with PPP

11. PCMCIA Modem recognized but won't engage