Man pages don't work

Post by Shawn Bernar » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

I have installed Linux (Slackware 3.0) and everything seems to be working
pretty well, except that I cannot access the man pages.  I know that I
installed them when I installed Linux.  But when I try to access them, it
errors out.  When I type 'man echo' it comes back with the following error:

        sh: /usr/bin/gtbl: No such file or directory
        /usr/bin/groff: No such file or directory

Those two files are, indeed, not there.  Is there something else that I
have to do to get this to work?

There is a /usr/man directory with a bunch of files and linked files in it
(i.e. cat1, cat2...catn, man1, man2...mann, preformat).  It also seems that
the correct MANPATH is in my env.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks

--
Shawn Bernard
Network Admin/Webmaster

Man pages don't work

Post by Stan A. Rogg » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

When you do your installation you shoudl also install nroff and troff.
They get used to do formatting.  The question about installing the man
pages just puts the man files on the system only, not all the required
goodies.

--
Harmonic System Incorporated
Mr. Stan A. Rogge - Systems Analyst

Work:   (612)321-4060
Fax:    (612)672-3549

Web:            http://www.telsarpc.harmonic.com
FTP:            ftp://telsarpc.harmonic.com

Loose the goofy. for emailing me back.

1. slackware 3.0 man pages don't work

Hi all, I just installed the "A" disk set of slackware 3.0 and have the
following problem.  When I do "man ls" (or man whatever) I get:

Formatting page, please wait...
sh: /usr/bin/gtbl: No such file of directory
sh: /usr/bin/groff: No such file or directory
line ?/? (END)

Why am I getting this and how do I make my man pages work normally?

Thanks,

Dan Lewis

2. Does Linux have Xserver support for Savage4?

3. Help: Man pages don't work

4. XF86 3.3.6 and Diamond Stealth 3000

5. kdehelp man pages don't work

6. Strange DNS timeout wierdness

7. Solaris 2.3 man pages don't display all available pages

8. rexecd for Linux?

9. man pages don't work

10. MAN pages still don't work in Linux Slackware v.3.0

11. Man pages don't work?!?

12. man pages don't work right

13. man pages don't work