RE-installation

Post by bo.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello all
my mandrake 6.1 system got f**ked up and instead of fixing it i will
reinstall it.....my problem is that i dont know how to take off LILO. my
root password wont isnt recognized so i cant remove it from linuxconf.
please email me if you have any ideas as to waht i hsould do...... (if
your wondering....linux works, but X wont start. gives me a fatal server
error...whts weord is that i ahvent done anythig.....anyway....)

bye

RE-installation

Post by Ript » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello all
> my mandrake 6.1 system got f**ked up and instead of fixing it i will
> reinstall it.....my problem is that i dont know how to take off LILO. my
> root password wont isnt recognized so i cant remove it from linuxconf.
> please email me if you have any ideas as to waht i hsould do...... (if
> your wondering....linux works, but X wont start. gives me a fatal server
> error...whts weord is that i ahvent done anythig.....anyway....)

> bye

I am assumeing lilo is in the MBR, and you also have windows installed.
just get lilo to boot windows, or boot from a windows (dos) boot disk and
do "fdisk /mbr"

1. ?? Automatic re-installation ??

Suppose you install Linux to a virgin disk from CDROM,
then install some more software from another CDROM,
some more from a floppy etc.

Now, of course, I can buy a tape to backup this installation.
But _all_ of it has obviously a backup already, so it it a
kind of waste to buy a tape to backup such a installation.
And I don't produce enough 'bytes' to justify the switch
from floppies to tape.

Does any utility exist, that can keep track of what I install,
and perform an (more or less) automatic reinstallation after
a crash (or rm -Rf *)? Or is there some standard Unix approach
to this problem? (Sorry, but 'the SysAdm' is not very experienced
yet :-)

Regards

Per Henning

2. Help! I removed .cshrc !!!

3. RedHat 6.2 re-installation fails

4. Solaris certification take 2

5. Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

6. view postscript format file

7. How to backup installed Solaris packages for re-installation?

8. mount_ufs option problem....

9. Linux re-installation

10. CDROM re-installation

11. Re-installation and re-partition