LILO vs LOADLIN (and CD-ROM detection)

Post by David Dian » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

( I am using a dummy 'nospam' email address, my real one is below)
Hello!
  I have successfully installed Linux on my 486 PC!! I now would like to
boot more efficiently.

  Since I also run MS-DOS and Windows on the primary partitions, I don't
want to take any risks with my MBR on my hard-drives.  I created a LILO
boot disk for floppy drive A, but it takes too long to load. Instead, I
copied my 'vmlinuz' file to my C: drive and start my linux with LOADLIN
from DOS.

  loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb3 ro sbpcd=0x230,SoundBlaster

  My problem is that Linux seems to be ignoring my 'sbpcd' command
option.  With the /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom file set to 'execute' permission,
the system performs a scan check for the CD-ROM but first checks 'Laser
something at 0x340' and then finally SoundBlaster. (So it takes too
long.) I want to skip the scanning process and have it go directly to
the proper CD-ROM type. I am afraid to modify the sbpcd.h file and
recompile the kernel, as the instructions are not clear enough.
  I would prefer to continue using LOADLIN with some modifications to
the command line or to use LILO (and lilo.conf) from a DOS command-line.

  What is the best way to handle this? Since the loadlin works so
quickly, does seem to offer me an advantage, since speed is my only real
issue here. Can I do this without modifying the kernel?

  Thanks in advance,
  David Diano
*               Diano Consulting               *

* "When it has to be right the first time."    *

Post by gerald clar » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> ( I am using a dummy 'nospam' email address, my real one is below)
> Hello!
>   I have successfully installed Linux on my 486 PC!! I now would like to
> boot more efficiently.

>   Since I also run MS-DOS and Windows on the primary partitions, I don't
> want to take any risks with my MBR on my hard-drives.  I created a LILO
> boot disk for floppy drive A, but it takes too long to load. Instead, I
> copied my 'vmlinuz' file to my C: drive and start my linux with LOADLIN
> from DOS.

>   loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb3 ro sbpcd=0x230,SoundBlaster

>   My problem is that Linux seems to be ignoring my 'sbpcd' command
> option.  With the /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom file set to 'execute' permission,
> the system performs a scan check for the CD-ROM but first checks 'Laser
> something at 0x340' and then finally SoundBlaster. (So it takes too
> long.) I want to skip the scanning process and have it go directly to
> the proper CD-ROM type. I am afraid to modify the sbpcd.h file and
> recompile the kernel, as the instructions are not clear enough.
>   I would prefer to continue using LOADLIN with some modifications to
> the command line or to use LILO (and lilo.conf) from a DOS command-line.

>   What is the best way to handle this? Since the loadlin works so
> quickly, does seem to offer me an advantage, since speed is my only real
> issue here. Can I do this without modifying the kernel?

>   Thanks in advance,
>   David Diano
> --
> *               Diano Consulting               *

> * "When it has to be right the first time."    *

You did not say what verion you are running. It sounds like Slakware.
Look in /etc/rc.d/init.d or whereever the startup routines are.
Look for cdrom, or another script that porbes for cdroms, and
comment out all the lines except for the one for yours.
--
Remove the -bogus- portions of my return address!

LILO vs LOADLIN (and CD-ROM detection)

Post by David Dian » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

(again, using nospam email address. real address at bottom)
Gerald-
   It worked, though with the following variation. I hope this info will
help others.
  The version was indeed Slakware (v3.2). It turns out that there was no
init.d, but there was an rc.modules file. This file contained commented
out option lines for the different CD-ROM types. All I had to do was
uncomment the line and put in the correct I/O address. It works like a
charm!

  Thanks again,
  David Diano

> > ( I am using a dummy 'nospam' email address, my real one is below)
> > Hello!
> >   I have successfully installed Linux on my 486 PC!! I now would like to
> > boot more efficiently.

> >   Since I also run MS-DOS and Windows on the primary partitions, I don't
> > want to take any risks with my MBR on my hard-drives.  I created a LILO
> > boot disk for floppy drive A, but it takes too long to load. Instead, I
> > copied my 'vmlinuz' file to my C: drive and start my linux with LOADLIN
> > from DOS.

> >   loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb3 ro sbpcd=0x230,SoundBlaster

> >   My problem is that Linux seems to be ignoring my 'sbpcd' command
> > option.  With the /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom file set to 'execute' permission,
> > the system performs a scan check for the CD-ROM but first checks 'Laser
> > something at 0x340' and then finally SoundBlaster. (So it takes too
> > long.) I want to skip the scanning process and have it go directly to
> > the proper CD-ROM type. I am afraid to modify the sbpcd.h file and
> > recompile the kernel, as the instructions are not clear enough.
> >   I would prefer to continue using LOADLIN with some modifications to
> > the command line or to use LILO (and lilo.conf) from a DOS command-line.

> >   What is the best way to handle this? Since the loadlin works so
> > quickly, does seem to offer me an advantage, since speed is my only real
> > issue here. Can I do this without modifying the kernel?

> >   Thanks in advance,
> >   David Diano
> > --
> You did not say what verion you are running. It sounds like Slakware.
> Look in /etc/rc.d/init.d or whereever the startup routines are.
> Look for cdrom, or another script that porbes for cdroms, and
> comment out all the lines except for the one for yours.
> --
> Remove the -bogus- portions of my return address!

*               Diano Consulting               *

* "When it has to be right the first time."    *

1. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

What is the difference in mounting a CD at boot-time (entry in
/etc/fstab) and mounting at run-time (using mount command)?

I can mount any CD at boot-time (and then access it in any way), but
the system freezes when I try to mount/remount a CD at run-time. What
can I do?

Any help appreciated.

(I have a 486DX266 with EIDE and 2 harddisks at primary interface (id0)
as master and slave, and the NEC 272 (4x) CD-Rom as Master on the
secondary IDE interface (id1)). Using kernel 1.2.11/1.3.3.

Carsten.
---

2. my zip 250

3. HELP: Accesing SCSI CD-ROM with loadlin (installation was ok)

4. Filesystem: vmufs

5. Geode MediaGX CD-ROM detection problem

6. Important getty questions!

7. Another ATAPI CD-Rom Detection Problem

8. Preventing FTP-access with squid

9. CD-ROM detection

10. CD-ROM drive detection

11. CD-ROM Detection during install

12. CD-ROM via PCMCIA (how can I stop automatic detection at boot-time?)

13. Auto-detection of Cd-rom!?