Kernel Panic, Please Help...I am Panicking Too

Kernel Panic, Please Help...I am Panicking Too

Post by Jason Stuar » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:39:32

I am pretty new to this linux stuff so bear with me.  I recently downloaded
and installed mandrake 7.2, but unfortunately my usb modem wasnt supported,
so when the kernel update came out I thought I would give that a try....got
the kernel compiled, updated LILO...restart and attempt to load the new
kernel...and I get a kernel panic error...

Speciffically:

kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:05

How can I fix this?  It was suggested to me that I try rdev....I tried it
but I am not sure how to use it correctly can someone elaborate or give me
some more insite into how I can correct this problem?

I appreciate all your help...

System spec's:

128mb EMS / 256mb Micron SDRAM - 20.4 7200 Barracuda - 20.4 7200 Western
Digital- SB Live - Plex 8/4/32 - Geforce 2 MX Prophet II 205/205,
WinMill/Win2k Pro/Whistler/Linux Mandrake 7.2

Post by Eric » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:35:19

> I am pretty new to this linux stuff so bear with me.  I recently downloaded
> and installed mandrake 7.2, but unfortunately my usb modem wasnt supported,
> so when the kernel update came out I thought I would give that a try....got
> the kernel compiled, updated LILO...restart and attempt to load the new
> kernel...and I get a kernel panic error...

> Speciffically:

> kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:05

> How can I fix this?  It was suggested to me that I try rdev....I tried it
> but I am not sure how to use it correctly can someone elaborate or give me
> some more insite into how I can correct this problem?

Have you heard of manpages?
I never used rdev before, but I figure everything you need is in the
manpages

man rdev

(I checked there, and found: rdev -h for examples)

Eric

Kernel Panic, Please Help...I am Panicking Too

Post by Beavis Chris » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:05:38

Yeah Eric, but you're assuming he remembered to save his old kernel.

In other words, if he can't get booted, how can he look at the man pages?

Quote:> Have you heard of manpages?

Post by Peter T. Breue » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:31:02

> Yeah Eric, but you're assuming he remembered to save his old kernel.
> In other words, if he can't get booted, how can he look at the man pages?

Use the web, or read his install cd, or boot from his install cd. And
if he's forgotten how to turn on his computer ...

Peter

Post by Eric » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:45:36

> Yeah Eric, but you're assuming he remembered to save his old kernel.

> In other words, if he can't get booted, how can he look at the man pages?

He claimed before that already tried rdev before, but that it failed.
So he's probably still able to boot the old kernel.
If not he should have told so.

Eric

1. kernel panic and I am panic

Hi, there,

Using IBM DeskStar 10.1G hard disk. Installed RH6.2. Put mount point "/"
after the 1024 limitation.(all the spaces before 1024 are reserved for
windoze). I was warned about the 1024 problem when writting partition
table using fdisk. And also was warned about 1024 problem just after
installing the packages. When rebooted the machine, got "kernel panic:
VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:01" and the machine halts. Used
pqmagic 4.0 to see the partition of the disk and found pqmagic showed
"Error #108 partition table can not found" or some error message like
this. After all, pqmagic can not see the partitions at all.

The worst thing is I always got "PCI BUS error" from my old BIOS. (I did
not get it when I installed RH6.2 but got it if I tried to boot from
DOS). So, probably as the result( I am not sure though), I can not use
CDROM at all. My DOS has the driver for CDROM and it can find the CDROM.
But whenever I type "dir", the machine halted for ever.

I had thought there is no 1024 problem for newer linux. But what are the
reasons at all for all my weird things?

Thank you so much.

Davis

--
I do not feel shameful if I was and am an idiot; I
will feel shameful if I haven't realized it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. 1024x768 with 75hz

3. HELP! Kernel Panic: EXT2-fs panic ...

4. what chipset is used by Toshiba LCD video

5. Help ! Panic Panic: Kernel crash

6. ppp and name resolution

7. PANIC PANIC PANIC

8. Thinking about Linux...

9. HELP, please, HELP! kernel panic

10. panic not rebooting even though /proc/sys/kernel/panic=1?

11. What is Kernel Panic: EXT2-fs panic (Device 3/65)

12. Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic on 2.5.4-pre3

13. Kernel panic: aha152x panic (during LILO install)