Windows 2000 & 98

Post by Paul Kell » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I have asked this question before and been pointed to the Howtos.  I have
looked in the how tos and not found any advice that I can follow, so I will
ask here again.

I have a PIII 600(133) with 256MB (133)
With 3 Hard Drives:
C:  Fat32 - Windows 98 - 18 gig.
D:  NTFS - Windows 2000 - 20 Gig
E:   Fat32 - Data files

My machine Dual boots between 98 and 2000 - Win 2000 aranged the dual boot
at installation.

I have 10gig of space free on my C: drive and want install Suse Linux 6.2 (I
have had this for a while) on it.

Please can you give me any suggestions or warnings so that I don't*my
system.

Paul

Windows 2000 & 98

Post by Louis E. Walke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I believe that as long as your C: FAT32 drive does not contain more than 2.0 GB
of data, you can use a program known as fips to shrink that partition to to 2.0
GB (which is probably included on one of the installation CDs, I know
positively that you can download it off the internet and it is on Red Hat
distros).  To the best of my knowledge, I believe that your FAT32 becomes FAT16
which limits Winbloze partions to 2.0GB each but has no affect on you ext2
(Linux) partitions.  So, if you want to alocate more than 2.0 GB to this drive
for Winbloze, you will have multiple partitions for this.  If you current C:
drive has more that 2.0 GB of data, you will probably run into trouble even
with a commercial partition manager such as Partition Magic.

Louis

> Hi,

> I have asked this question before and been pointed to the Howtos.  I have
> looked in the how tos and not found any advice that I can follow, so I will
> ask here again.

> I have a PIII 600(133) with 256MB (133)
> With 3 Hard Drives:
> C:  Fat32 - Windows 98 - 18 gig.
> D:  NTFS - Windows 2000 - 20 Gig
> E:   Fat32 - Data files

> My machine Dual boots between 98 and 2000 - Win 2000 aranged the dual boot
> at installation.

> I have 10gig of space free on my C: drive and want install Suse Linux 6.2 (I
> have had this for a while) on it.

> Please can you give me any suggestions or warnings so that I don't*my
> system.

> Paul

Windows 2000 & 98

Post by Richard Gaywoo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I have asked this question before and been pointed to the Howtos.  I have
> looked in the how tos and not found any advice that I can follow, so I
will
> ask here again.

> I have a PIII 600(133) with 256MB (133)
> With 3 Hard Drives:
> C:  Fat32 - Windows 98 - 18 gig.
> D:  NTFS - Windows 2000 - 20 Gig
> E:   Fat32 - Data files

> My machine Dual boots between 98 and 2000 - Win 2000 aranged the dual boot
> at installation.

> I have 10gig of space free on my C: drive and want install Suse Linux 6.2
(I
> have had this for a while) on it.

> Please can you give me any suggestions or warnings so that I don't*
my
> system.

I really recommend you get Partition Magic, if you don't mind forking out
for it. It will allow you to re-size the Fat32 partition down to 8Gb (or
whatever), and then create a new partition for Linux.

If I were doing this, I'd create a new partition for Linux that is *smaller*
that 8.0Gb on the C: drive, and put it at the beginning of the drive. This
is becase the Linux boot process tends to throw a wobbler if the partition
it lives on is after the 8.4Gb point on the drive. Then, install SuSE and
tell it to put LILO on the first sector of this drive.

Finally, install Boot Magic under Win98 and use it to control the boot
process of the three OSs. I have a very similar setup (Win98, Win2k, RH6.1,
Corel Linux and BEOS 5 at the last count...) and it works for me.

--
                                           -=R=-

SRGC SR1+ SR2++ SR3+++ h++    |
b+++ !B UB IE++ RN++ W-       |
ri++ ma++ m+ gm+ M+ !P        |

                WoD have reviwed my first UT mutator and given it 4/5!
                http://www.veryComputer.com/

Windows 2000 & 98

Post by Paul Kell » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thank you for comments.

I do have more than 2gb of data on C: It is possible to partition using
Partition Magic and keep Fat32 - so if I did that first and freed up a
partion on the C: drive -say 8gb, and used fips to format it as ext2,
without the need to use fips to resize it, would I retain my C: fat32?  Or
would it not let me continue?

Also, as I am using a dual boot already, how will the installer cope with
it?  Will I get a dual boot option of Linux/Windows and if I choose windows
will I then get a second choice of Windows 98/2000?  Or will I get a 3 boot
option?

Are there any probs with having 3 operating systems on one machine?

Thanks,  Paul

> I believe that as long as your C: FAT32 drive does not contain more than
2.0 GB
> of data, you can use a program known as fips to shrink that partition to
to 2.0
> GB (which is probably included on one of the installation CDs, I know
> positively that you can download it off the internet and it is on Red Hat
> distros).  To the best of my knowledge, I believe that your FAT32 becomes
FAT16
> which limits Winbloze partions to 2.0GB each but has no affect on you ext2
> (Linux) partitions.  So, if you want to alocate more than 2.0 GB to this
drive
> for Winbloze, you will have multiple partitions for this.  If you current
C:
> drive has more that 2.0 GB of data, you will probably run into trouble
even
> with a commercial partition manager such as Partition Magic.

> Louis

> > Hi,

> > I have asked this question before and been pointed to the Howtos.  I
have
> > looked in the how tos and not found any advice that I can follow, so I
will
> > ask here again.

> > I have a PIII 600(133) with 256MB (133)
> > With 3 Hard Drives:
> > C:  Fat32 - Windows 98 - 18 gig.
> > D:  NTFS - Windows 2000 - 20 Gig
> > E:   Fat32 - Data files

> > My machine Dual boots between 98 and 2000 - Win 2000 aranged the dual
boot
> > at installation.

> > I have 10gig of space free on my C: drive and want install Suse Linux
6.2 (I
> > have had this for a while) on it.

> > Please can you give me any suggestions or warnings so that I don't*
my
> > system.

> > Paul

Windows 2000 & 98

Post by Louis E. Walke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have never used a commercial partition manager so I am not
really sure.  I run Win98SE on one drive and Red Hat 6.1 on a
second.  As for having that many operating systems, it is
managable.  I have seen people with more.  The only thing will be
booting.  I know that Win2000 will allow you to boot Win98 or
Win2000 through its boot loader but I have heard of people having
trouble with it and Linux (go figure).  I have never used an NT
based OS so you may want to check www.linuxstart.com or
www.linuxdoc.org for more information on that.  If all else
fails, just boot from a diskete to linux.  That would be the less
complex solution.  If you are planning on buying a commercial
partition manager, and if you want to make things really simple,
I have heard of people having great success with System Commander
Deluxe.  It has a partition manager and a boot loader.
--
Louis E. Walker
University of Louisville

Windows 2000 & 98

Thanks - I will give it a go - finger crossed.