Request suggestions for Best PCI Video card.

Request suggestions for Best PCI Video card.

Post by Travel » Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I am looking at getting a new system in a couple of weeks.  I wish to
use Linux 2.3 (later on 3.0) with XFree86, and Win95. I would like to
know what the best video card for these two environments is.
Currently I own a Diamond Stealth 32 for my 486 and would prefer not
to go through that *all over again. I would also prefer a card
that didn't require contacting X-inside to get it running under X or
waiting 8 years for the Vendor to release Decent drivers for Win 95/NT

Thank You for your Time

Post by David Jeffe » Wed, 27 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I am looking at getting a new system in a couple of weeks.  I wish to
>use Linux 2.3 (later on 3.0) with XFree86, and Win95. I would like to
>know what the best video card for these two environments is.
>Currently I own a Diamond Stealth 32 for my 486 and would prefer not
>to go through that *all over again. I would also prefer a card
>that didn't require contacting X-inside to get it running under X or
>waiting 8 years for the Vendor to release Decent drivers for Win 95/NT

>Thank You for your Time

 Don't know about Win 95/NT (what's that?) but a decent
 accelerated driver is ATI Mach32 or at least that's what
 I'm using with little problems. Mach64 runs best with
 X-Inside so ....:
--

"Works without $400 million in upgrades."

Post by Theo Van Dint » Wed, 27 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I am looking at getting a new system in a couple of weeks.  I wish to
: use Linux 2.3 (later on 3.0) with XFree86, and Win95. I would like to
: know what the best video card for these two environments is.
: Currently I own a Diamond Stealth 32 for my 486 and would prefer not
: to go through that *all over again. I would also prefer a card
: that didn't require contacting X-inside to get it running under X or
: waiting 8 years for the Vendor to release Decent drivers for Win 95/NT

<shrug>  I've been using my Diamond Stealth 64 for both OS's for a few
months now, and haven't seen anything better or faster.  Both OS's
support the card, and with 2Mb of VRAM, it handles 1024x768 very
nicely. 8)

l8a!

            WWW Home Page:  http://www.veryComputer.com/~felicity/
     Active Member in:  LnL, SOMA, and ACM - PGP Key Available via finger
           Boot in the root! BAT in a FAT! Backup,backup,DAT,DAT,DAT

1. High-end video-card/monitor suggestions requested!

I am looking to purchase a 17" monitor and a PCI capable video
card for my Linux/XFree 3.1 setup plus to use for DOS, etc..

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a top-of-the-line
card/monitor that would work under those specifications.  I am
looking for at least 64 bit, PCI, 4M of ram, and compatibility
with the widest range of applications.  But most importantly:
XFree.  I have a Speedstar HiColor and had a TIME configuring
it to work, so ....  I am aware that Diamond cards are hard to
use, but saw somewhere that someone recommended one because it
did in fact work w/ XFree quite well.  Right now, I'm leaning
more towards the Orchid Kelvin line, but any help is greatly
appreciated.

Also am looking at a Viewsonic 17" monitor.  They seem to have
the best all-round range of features: 1600x1200, multiscanning,
digital on screen display, etc..  Plus they're rather cheap if
you look in the right places.

I was also taken in by the Sony Trinitron Multiscan (GDM SE-1) 17",
but they only have a max diagonal viewing area of 16.1 inches -- not
quite worth the difference of 15" that I have now.  Does anyone
know if this is true for other monitors as well?

Any replies would be appreciated!  Please respond to below address:

|:| Robert Sink              | "I don't want  to start  any blasphemous |:|

|:|--------------------------|  sense of humor and when I die  I expect |:|
|:| (c) 1994 Gurkware, Inc.  |  to find him laughing."  -- Depeche Mode |:|
         *PGP 2.6 Public Key Available By Fingering This Account*

2. Bash and parameters

3. Best Video Card - Best Sound Card - HELP!!

4. bad monitors

5. Opinions requested on best video card

6. Log Rotation for suexec log file

7. PCI Video card suggestions?

8. undefined symbol: gnome_window_icon_set_default_from_file

9. Best PCI video card for $250 or less

10. Matrox MGA PCI/2+ video card: 320x200 is the best I can do???

11. Best PCI video card

12. Redundant Question: Best/Fastest PCI Video Card?

13. Opinions Please... Best Linux compatible PCI video card?