Cannot mount Fat32 partitions. Help !!

Post by Dan Anders » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: > > >I cannot mount Fat32 partitions. Why is that?
1. You need a fairly recent kernel to support fat32
(the recent 2.0.x or 2.1.x)
2. You need to specify fs type "vfat" when mounting.
3. vfat support has to be built in the kernel (not a problem usually
    unless it's a kernel YOU  customized)

Post by Ron Zosc » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>: > > >I cannot mount Fat32 partitions. Why is that?
>1. You need a fairly recent kernel to support fat32
>(the recent 2.0.x or 2.1.x)

I, too, have a problem seeing the contents of my Win98 FAT32 partion when
running Linux.  The drive shows up at "/c" (which is what I specified
while installing Red Hat 5.1, kernel 2.0.34) but "ls -al /c" shows just 2
files: "." and "..".

Quote:>2. You need to specify fs type "vfat" when mounting.
>3. vfat support has to be built in the kernel (not a problem usually
>    unless it's a kernel YOU  customized)

I'm using the kernel as installed by the Red Hat 5.1 installation program.
I have, however, edited "/etc/fstab", and changed every "msdos" to "vfat",
and can now see the long file names on my other Win98 FAT16 partitions,
but my "/c" partition has no entry at all.  Should I add one?  Is it safe?
I'd rather not lose the gig-or-so of MP3z on that partition!

Cannot mount Fat32 partitions. Help !!

Post by Adam Stephen » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

To the best of my knowledge, vfat is NOT the same thing as FAT32.  As a matter
of fact, I know it's not.  It follows that the compiling vfat support into
your kernel won't let you see FAT32 partitions (ie, your Win98 partition)
There are source patches, though, to make the kernel understand FAT32.  I wish
I could tell you exactly where, but I don't really know, you'll just have to
poke around a bit.

Post by Ron Zosc » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>To the best of my knowledge, vfat is NOT the same thing as FAT32.  As a matter
>of fact, I know it's not.  It follows that the compiling vfat support into
>your kernel won't let you see FAT32 partitions (ie, your Win98 partition)
>There are source patches, though, to make the kernel understand FAT32.  I wish
>I could tell you exactly where, but I don't really know, you'll just have to
>poke around a bit.

I went ahead and added a line to "/etc/fstab" for my FAT32 "/c" drive, and
I can now access it from Linux!  No trouble so far.

Cannot mount Fat32 partitions. Help !!

Post by Tony » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

And to the best of MY knowledge...which isn't much...I understand you have
to have kernel 2.0.35 or higher to read FAT32 partitions.  Don't know for
sure, but I read it.

TB

Cannot mount Fat32 partitions. Help !!

Post by MAV » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

And use the command mount   /dev/hda1  -t vfat  /mnt/fat32
were hda1 will be the hard drive which contain windose  and  fat32 a
directory that you have to create under /mnt  , it does not have to be as
described .

manny ..