HELP PLEASE middle mouse button/wheel won't work

HELP PLEASE middle mouse button/wheel won't work

Post by NCC/ » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:50:03

Hello there,

I have redhat7.1 .   My middle mouse button/wheel
won't work in X. It's a microsoft PS/2 mouse. The mouse
works but just not this button.

I very much DESPERATELY need this to work.

Can anyone help?
Any information?
Any documentation I should read in this situation?

I have NVIDIA Geforce 2 vid card. But I don't know
if this has anything to do with the mouse cut paste
middle button problem.

Please help.

thanks,
Paul.

--

HELP PLEASE middle mouse button/wheel won't work

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 02:07:34

Quote:> I have redhat7.1 .   My middle mouse button/wheel
> won't work in X. It's a microsoft PS/2 mouse. The mouse
> works but just not this button.

Hey, Paul - as root, open your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  Search for
the string 'Section "InputDevice"'.  Do you see a "ZAxisMapping"
parameter?  If so, take out the pound "#" symbol at the beginning of the
same line.  If not, add the following under the section (and before the
string EndSection):

         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.20: (429 of 531)
-> When you cease to make a contribution you begin to die.
-> - Eleanor Roosevelt

Post by Markku Kolkk » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 02:35:24

> I have redhat7.1 .   My middle mouse button/wheel
> won't work in X. It's a microsoft PS/2 mouse. The mouse
> works but just not this button.

> I very much DESPERATELY need this to work.

Run the "mouseconfig" program as root, select "Microsoft
IntelliMouse (PS/2)" and _don't_ check the "emulate 3 buttons" box.

--
        Markku Kolkka

Post by pvryj.. » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 06:48:48

>I have redhat7.1 .   My middle mouse button/wheel
>won't work in X. It's a microsoft PS/2 mouse. The mouse
>works but just not this button.

>I very much DESPERATELY need this to work.

>Can anyone help?
>Any information?
>Any documentation I should read in this situation?

You need a program called "imwheel".
I'm not familiar with Red Hat, but you may find it amongst the programs that
come with the distro.  Otherwise look for it on freshmeat or sourceforge.  You
will need to make a small alteration to your XF86config file, which is (I'm
fairly sure)  described in the Readme file that comes with the program.

Chris Ward

Post by Robert Dodi » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:36:02

> > I have redhat7.1 .   My middle mouse button/wheel
> > won't work in X. It's a microsoft PS/2 mouse. The mouse
> > works but just not this button.

> > I very much DESPERATELY need this to work.

> Run the "mouseconfig" program as root, select "Microsoft
> IntelliMouse (PS/2)" and _don't_ check the "emulate 3 buttons" box.

Actually, I would suggest just the opposite. Check "emulate 3 buttons",
then use right and left together (click at the same time) to act as
the third button.

I am assuming that what Paul wants is the 3 button functionality,
not necessarily the wheel acting as the 3rd button.

I also have RH 7.1 and a PS/2 mouse with a wheel, and I found
that the wheel doesn't work, so I'm using 3 button emulation and
I'm just happy as a clam. You know how happy clams are. :^)

fwiw,

Robert Dodier

HELP PLEASE middle mouse button/wheel won't work

Post by Michael Fonteno » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 03:58:12

To get my middle button to work, I also
needed to change the "Protocol" line in
XF86Config from "PS/2" to "IMPS/2".

    Mike Fontenot