HELP! Linux broke WinNT and fdisk broke Linux!

HELP! Linux broke WinNT and fdisk broke Linux!

Post by Edwin » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 07:44:01

Hi. I've got a DOS/WinNT and I've just installed Linux (Slackware 2.0.1)

They are all in primary partitions - DOS/WinNT in /dev/hda4 and Linux
in /dev/hda1.

Linux works alright and I've put LILO in the superblock which works fine.

However when I switch to the NT OS Loader and try to boot NT now it
complains of an incorrect checksum in the boot sector and refuses to
continue. The emergency repair disk can't fix this.

So I went  back to Linux and used fdisk to set /dev/hda4 back to active
and Linux crashed with a kernel panic when I tried to write the
partition table.

Now Linux won't boot as it tries to find a HPFS partition instead
of Linux Native and stops with a kernel panic saying can't find
root disk. I can't boot off floppy as well as I get the same error.

Can someone tell me what I did wrong here and do I need to reinstall
NT and Linux? HELPPPP!!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edwin

* E&E Engineering, University of Auckland           *
* Private Bag 92019, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND          *
*                                                   *
* Phone 64 9 373 7599 Ext 8104  Fax: 64 9 373 7461  *

1. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

So many repetitive messages asking the same questions!  Does noone bother
to grep the topics for possible solutions?

Here are some of the answers to your problems:

If you upgrade to ELF libraries, you need an ELF linker:  get new ld.so.

If you upgrade your kernel, you will likely need to upgrade to (or higher):
termcap 2.0.8, proc-ps.0.99a, libc 5.3.12 (see below!), modules-1.3.69f,
gcc 2.7.2.

If you upgrade your libc, you will need to patch or upgrade make to make
3.74.

It may possible that when you upgrade your compiler, you may need to
install a new (ELF) libc.

William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network

2. Solaris 2.2 Imagetool

3. 2.5: ieee1394 still broken, vesafb still broken, ipv6 still broken

4. X11 won't work? Help!

5. Linux fdisk is broken?

6. Planet Linux

7. WinNT under Linux or Linux under WinNT (was Re: Emulator for IMB)

8. Question About Syslog

9. PPPoE and IP MASQ: ftp is great, HTTP is broken, NNTP is broken

10. FYI: [2.5 patch] let broken drivers depend on BROKEN

11. RH6.2: broken Imake?, broken Open Motif?

12. 3c59x broken in (vortex) driver broken in higher 2.0.x?

13. TCB broken on SCO - authck broken too