Help: How to set tcsh as the default shell?

Help: How to set tcsh as the default shell?

Post by LIN XU TAO VINCE » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

        I just install slackware 3.0.0.  My school's computers are
running C shells.  I would prefer to use C shell at home too.  Can
someone please tell me what files I should modify and how.  Thanks a lot.
--
Lin, Xu(Vincent)      University of Toronto(Computer Engineering)

Please visit the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Webpage at:

Post by Gilbert Ramirez J » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

:       I just install slackware 3.0.0.  My school's computers are
: running C shells.  I would prefer to use C shell at home too.  Can
: someone please tell me what files I should modify and how.  Thanks a lot.
: --
: Lin, Xu(Vincent)      University of Toronto(Computer Engineering)

: Please visit the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Webpage at:

It's easy.

1) If you don't have the shell on your system, obtain the sources and
compile it. Test it out by invoking it from the command line.

2) Edit your login entry in /etc/passwd . It contains your default shell.

3) And add the full pathname of your shell binary to /etc/shells . Unix
checks there at login time to see if the shell in /etc/passwd is allowed to
be a shell.

My /etc/shells looks like:

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/zsh
/bin/bash

That's it. Logout & login

--gilbert

University of Texas                     http://merece.uthscsa.edu/gram
Health Science Center at San Antonio    University Health System

Help: How to set tcsh as the default shell?

Post by W. Paul Mil » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    I just install slackware 3.0.0.  My school's computers are
>running C shells.  I would prefer to use C shell at home too.  Can
>someone please tell me what files I should modify and how.  Thanks a lot.

The command

chsh

should work. Or modify the shell field in /etc/passwd.

--
 ----------------  http://www.tyrell.net/~wpmills/  ----------------
: W. Paul Mills          : Compiler Bug: Any action of the compiler :

: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
 --------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------