Problems, compiling "shared' under XFree86-3.3

Problems, compiling "shared' under XFree86-3.3

Post by Torsten Krause -1 » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi you all!

Perhaps one of you can give me a hint: I installed the new XFree86-3.3
and now I have the problem, that I can't anymore build X-Clients
that use shared libraries. I looked in my X11R6/lib - directory
and indeed, there are no libXXX.sa files, that are traditionally
needed. I found only the libXXX.so and libXXX.a-Files
(static build is possible).

Soo, my question is where can I get the 'libXXX.sa'-Files or is there
another way to do it.

I use the Caldera-Distribution, Kernel 2.0.29, gcc-2.7.2.1.

Thanks in advance !

Greetings

  Torsten

Problems, compiling "shared' under XFree86-3.3

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi you all!

> Perhaps one of you can give me a hint: I installed the new XFree86-3.3
> and now I have the problem, that I can't anymore build X-Clients
> that use shared libraries. I looked in my X11R6/lib - directory
> and indeed, there are no libXXX.sa files, that are traditionally
> needed. I found only the libXXX.so and libXXX.a-Files
> (static build is possible).

> Soo, my question is where can I get the 'libXXX.sa'-Files or is there
> another way to do it.

??? the .sa files are shared a.out libs, generally needed nowadays only for
backwards compatability.  If you're builidng programs, you should be using
the .so files, the ELF shared libraries.  If you need to run programs
compiled with the a.out libs, then there should be an rpm that contains the
older libs for this reason.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-5 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

Post by Sid Boyc » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Hi you all!

> Perhaps one of you can give me a hint: I installed the new XFree86-3.3
> and now I have the problem, that I can't anymore build X-Clients
> that use shared libraries. I looked in my X11R6/lib - directory
> and indeed, there are no libXXX.sa files, that are traditionally
> needed. I found only the libXXX.so and libXXX.a-Files
> (static build is possible).

> Soo, my question is where can I get the 'libXXX.sa'-Files or is there
> another way to do it.

> I use the Caldera-Distribution, Kernel 2.0.29, gcc-2.7.2.1.

> Thanks in advance !

> Greetings

>   Torsten

        Some packages seem to need libXXX.so files and won't compile with the
so.6.x files, so e.g I had to ln -s libX11.so.6.1 libX11.so to get it to
work, but I think preinst.sh and postinst.sh sorts most of them out now.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

1. "--mode compile" instead of "--mode=compile" problem with libtool

Hi!

I am trying to compiling Apache on a sparc10 with Solaris 7
and the problem is that libtool don't accept its parameter
in the form it should (and says it do in its help)

libtool --mode compile   do work but
libtool --mode=compile   do not work, then it just say
   libtool: invalid operation mode '--modecompile'

The way apaches makefile have it is with a "="
but libtool (i have tried both the one that comes with apache
and a newer one) don't work then. libtool only
works if you skip the "="

Is there any thing that is broken in my solaris-installation
that creates this problem?

Any ideas how to fix it?

2. check daylight saving time on Solaris 8

3. Sharing printer gets "Can't read 'ushareName'" error

4. How do I make .htm act like .html?

5. "Can't find shared library 'libc.so.3.0'"

6. complete system freeze on boot on winchip c6

7. can't compile gnome - "'gtk-config' script not found"

8. Help: Sound

9. Error 'Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found' when using mail

10. Help: XFree86 startx error "could not open default font 'fixed'"

11. Achieving what's done by Microsoft's "Internet Connection Sharing"

12. "`va_start' redefined" problem while compiling

13. Problems Compiling hp2xx, where's "X11"?