Another newbie with questions (mount table corrupt)

Another newbie with questions (mount table corrupt)

Post by RPlat » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

My system is Slackware 4.0.  In the last couple weeks I have reinstalled
completely on numerous occasion (mainly due to my ignorance).  This is
my first real attempt at trying to make Linux work for me.  I have all
of my Linux system system installed on a 1 GB IDE drive on HDB.  It is
partitioned hdb1 /; hdb2 /usr; hdb3 /usr/local and hdb4 swap.  My root
is 100 MB, /usr is 500 MB /usr/local is 272 MB and my swap is 128 MB.

I finally got my Vibra16 soundcard up and running and today I dug out my
old (even jumpered) internal modem (not blazing but it is a 28.8) and
had no (real) problems getting it set up to post this message.  I had to
step back and install minicom and when I tried to run the slackware
setup script it dies and give me the message "mount table corrupt,
reboot machine and run setup again.  I have rebooted my machine and
still the same message comes up.  Other than the error message (and the
fact I can not use the setup script or the pkgtool), there does not seem
to be any problems.  How can I fix this.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated as I am as new to *nix as I am to Linux, although I have
worked with PC's for a while, and am hoping (other than for what I must
have for my job) transition to Linux for everything.

TIA

Another newbie with questions (mount table corrupt)

Post by Richard R Ure » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>when I tried to run the slackware
>setup script it dies and give me the message "mount table corrupt,
>reboot machine and run setup again.  I have rebooted my machine and
>still the same message comes up.

Reading the setup script (/usr/lib/setup/setup) suggests
that one problem is that you may have some Windows partitions mounted
when you attempt to run the setup program.   If that's the
case, unmount them and try again.   Or you may be trying
to run the set up program as a regular user (you should
run it as root).

Another newbie with questions (mount table corrupt)

Post by Rex Plat » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the effort.  The problem is that when the Slackware setup
start it makes a symlink pointing to /dev/hda1 (or I guess just the
drive that you are installing the files from).  At any rate if for some
reason the program bombs it may not remove this link.  In the process,
it check if the link is there already and (assumes) a bount mount table
since it is already mounted.  In my case I renamed the link and all was
well.  Hopefully this may help someone else.

Thank you for your responses.

--

Post by Rob Stockle » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Gentlemen,
> Thanks for the effort.  The problem is that when the Slackware setup
> start it makes a symlink pointing to /dev/hda1 (or I guess just the
> drive that you are installing the files from).  At any rate if for some
> reason the program bombs it may not remove this link.  In the process,
> it check if the link is there already and (assumes) a bount mount table
> since it is already mounted.  In my case I renamed the link and all was
> well.  Hopefully this may help someone else.

> Thank you for your responses.

That's a real curly one. I'll be filing that one away for later. Great
to see you got it sorted.
--
Rob Stockley
Christchurch, NZ
Email: delete spam-buster from return address
ICQ:   37780545

1. Setup problems with "corrupted mount table"

Hey ho.

I am running Linux 2.2.10 with the latest slackware distribution.
Whenever I try to run "setup", I get the message

Mount table corrupt.  Reboot machine and run setup again.

Now, I am using ide-scsi for a CDRW, and often setup gives me the
following odd messages:
scsi1: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices.
scsi: 2 hosts.
scsi: 1 host.
I get that several times and then I get the mount table message.  So, I
compiled a new kernel and changed the rc.d files so that I didn't use
ide-scsi.  I still get the mount table message, so that must be a red
herring.

Here's the output from mount:
/dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /home type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hdc on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)

(Looks okay to me -- my CDRW is hdd, not hdc.  It's not currently
mounted.)

Has anyone seen this?  If there's documentation about this problem, just
point me in the right direction, please.

bit screwy at the moment.

Thanks.
Jesse

2. Recovery of an 'out-of-sync' file system

3. PROBLEM: ext2/mount - multiple mounts corrupts inodes

4. Accountancy software required for SCO

5. Newbie question - IP Tables byte counters

6. solaris developement kits

7. where are process-table, region-table, inode-table?

8. Physical Memory

9. C programming Error : Assertion failed: table->edgeH == VL_EDGE_NO_WRITE || table->edgeH == VL_EDGE_ZERO_FILL || table ?

10. Possible to retrieve files when partition table gets corrupted?

11. Linux swap corrupt partition table

12. Hard Disk Partition Table Corrupted

13. GDB corrupts target process' page table entry.