red hat, debian, slackware reboot during install

red hat, debian, slackware reboot during install

Post by Robert Princ » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I just ordered the RH 5.1, and set about installing it last weekend.  I've
got standard pc hardware, intel pci motherboard + pentium, ide and udma
disks, atapi cdrom . . . standard stuff.  Every time I try the bootdisk,
it gets a few lines past 'calibrating delay loop', and then reboots.  I
had an old (1995) set of distributions with slackware, debian, and red hat
on it, so I generated boot and root disks from all three, and get the same
thing (actually, the older ones die right on the delay loop line, but the
new RH goes past that).

I went into the bios and reset each screen to the defaults in turn and
tried to boot.  Same thing.  I unplugged both of my hard drives and told
the bios not to even check for them; same thing.  I booted from the cdrom;
same thing.  I took out the video card and stuck in this old Tseng-chipset
SVGA card; same thing.

I'm stumped, and I'm sick of windows for a variety of reasons.  Anyone
got any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert Prince

hardware:

intel motherboard, intel tx chipset
pentium 200 mmx
32mb 70ns ram
1.2 mb conner ide hd
5.7 mb maxtor udma hd
Diamond Stealth 3d 2k, 4 mb

Post by Perry Gri » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Every time I try the bootdisk, it gets a few lines past
> 'calibrating delay loop', and then reboots.  I had an old
> (1995) set of distributions with slackware, debian, and
> red hat on it, so I generated boot and root disks from
> all three, and get the same thing ...

> Thanks,
> Robert Prince

> hardware:
> intel motherboard, intel tx chipset
> pentium 200 mmx
> 32mb 70ns ram
> 1.2 mb conner ide hd
> 5.7 mb maxtor udma hd
> Diamond Stealth 3d 2k, 4 mb

Are you getting sig11 or general protection faults with this?

I would, perhaps, start considering a memory or cache problems
if you are getting reboots during install or before you get to
the install.  If your BIOS can disable cache, try it.  If you
can slow down your cpu, try it.  If you can swap simms with
another machine, try it.

There seems to be alot of machines out there that run win95
just fine but have problems running heavier duty operating
systems, from the posts I've read.

One other thing you could do is try the boot floppy on a
different machine...  If that works, it kinda points to
a hardware issue with your machine.  At least that is what
I would suspect.

Perry Grieb

When I bought a machine 2 years ago, I had sig11s, GPFs,
and reboots during the install.  It was "fixed" in my
CMOS setup screen(s) by the shop.  Either they added wait
states or changed some timing parameter - but it has run
like a champ since.
--
Perry Grieb

See: http://www.essential.org/antitrust/microsoft/microsoft.html
See: http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/ms_index.htm

1. red hat, debian, slackware reboot on install

Hi all,

I just ordered RH 5.1, and set about installing it last weekend.  I've
[...]

2. V.R.

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. where is acrobat in port tree?

5. Red Hat 5.2 Reboots During Install on K6 233

6. kernel module again - confused

7. COMMERCIAL: New TRI-Linux CD: Red Hat 4.1, Slackware 3.1and Debian 1.2.5

8. Web crawlers avail?

9. Linux Red Hat Debian Slackware, what's best?

10. Debian, Red Hat or Slackware?

11. Red Hat vs. Slackware vs. Debian

12. Slackware, Red Hat, Debian, S.u.S.E.: Any preferences?

13. Which Linux to download: Red Hat, Debian, or Slackware?