Optimizing INN 1.4/1.5 on Linux server

Post by Pete Kruckenbe » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I'm not having much
success finding existing stuff via search engines.

I have just rebuilt a news server which used to run FreeBSD 2.2, and I'm
experimenting now with Linux 2.0.28 (RedHat 4.0). The system is a Pentium
166, Adaptec 2940W, 3 SCSI-Wide 4GB drives (in RAID0 array using md),
128MB EDO RAM, SMC Etherpower PCI Ethernet card. There are currently 20
feeds, of which 14 are all newsgroups, and about 20 simultaneous news
reader sessions.

What I'm trying to find out is what optimizations I can make to increase
performance on both the feeding and reading of news. I'm looking for FAQs,
Web sites, USENET postings, whatever, about Linux-specific suggestions.

The areas of optimization I can think of are:

 - patches/options in INN server (1.4unoff4 currently, soon 1.5.1) that
   increase Linux performance, such as MMAP options, etc
 - patches/options/enhancements to NNRP (reader server) to increase
   performance, and possibly lower memory requirements (such as the
   shared active patch, if it works with Linux, or modifications that
   lower the memory overhead of an nnrp session)
 - administrative methods (changing priorities, frequency of repeatitive
   tasks, etc)
 - patches or adjustments to Linux kernel that increase news performance
   (ie mount options, kernel optimizations, etc)

Thanks for your input. If there is not a Web page dedicated to this type
of thing, I will plan on putting one together based on your input
(credited to the appropriate author), to help others who are using Linux
as a high-performance server like this.

Pete Kruckenberg

Post by Matus Uhl » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

-> What I'm trying to find out is what optimizations I can make to increase
-> performance on both the feeding and reading of news. I'm looking for FAQs,
-> Web sites, USENET postings, whatever, about Linux-specific suggestions.

- split hard used disk partitions onto more disks (one - two - three for
  spool, one for overview data, one for history and active)
- install more memory probably
--

 ...and if you think I'm talking for my employer, you're wrong...

Optimizing INN 1.4/1.5 on Linux server

Post by James Youngm » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>What I'm trying to find out is what optimizations I can make to increase
>performance on both the feeding and reading of news. I'm looking for FAQs,
>Web sites, USENET postings, whatever, about Linux-specific suggestions.

>The areas of optimization I can think of are:

> - patches/options in INN server (1.4unoff4 currently, soon 1.5.1) that
>   increase Linux performance, such as MMAP options, etc
> - patches/options/enhancements to NNRP (reader server) to increase
>   performance, and possibly lower memory requirements (such as the
>   shared active patch, if it works with Linux, or modifications that
>   lower the memory overhead of an nnrp session)

IIRC shared-active now works under Linux.

Quote:> - administrative methods (changing priorities, frequency of repeatitive
>   tasks, etc)

I modified my expiry script to pass -T /var/tmp to sort because typically the
list of expired files didn't fit in /tmp and the result was that an unsorted
list of filenames was passed to fastrm, and so fastrm wasn't fast...until I
fixed it in this way.

Quote:> - patches or adjustments to Linux kernel that increase news performance
>   (ie mount options, kernel optimizations, etc)

Tune your md (RAID0) chunk size; people often find chunk sizes of the order of
their drives' cache size the best, but YMMV.

There is a patch for ext2fs that suppresses the update of the atime (at least)
by using the mount option -o noatime; this option was designed specifically to
speed up news systems.   There is also the new VIVA filesystem that has been
designed for this kind of application although this is still under development
I think.

Quote:>Thanks for your input. If there is not a Web page dedicated to this type
>of thing, I will plan on putting one together based on your input
>(credited to the appropriate author), to help others who are using Linux
>as a high-performance server like this.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're

1. NCSA 1.4 & 1.5 Only Send Partial Page

I'm having a problem with NCSA httpd 1.4 and 1.5b7. The deamon appears to
run OK, but when a client requests a document, only part of it is sent. In
addition, any images that are sent do not display correctly. This is very
repeatable - the page always ends at the same point (no, I'm not looking
at what's in the cache). The behavior is the same with Mosaic and Netscape
browsers, so it looks like a server problem.

Note that NCSA httpd 1.3 works fine.

My system is a 486 running Dell SVR4.

You can view a page as is should appear (httpd 1.3) at
http://vulture.ksc.nasa.gov/main.html.

To veiw the behavior with the 1.5b7 version, go to
http://vulture.ksc.nasa.gov:8000/main.html.
The 1.5b7 daemon is configured with both StartServers and MaxServers set to
zero, but the problem still exists if StartServers and MaxServers are
non-zero values.

Any suggestions to eliminate this problem would be greatly apperciated.

Steve

NASA - Kennedy Space Center

2. Login Error Message

3. Sun Httpd 1.4 vs. NSCA 1.5

4. tape stuck in DAT drive

5. Easy upgrade NCSA 1.4 -> 1.5.1b2?

6. Internet Connection Secure 4.2

7. Help!! News Server INN 1.4

8. 'While' loop starting a subshell?

9. INN 1.5 and Linux

10. Linux (Slackware 1.1.1 0.99.14) + INN 1.4 - Need config.data copy!

11. Linux 1.1.52 breaks INN 1.4

12. Changes to INN 1.4 for Linux?

13. Linux 1.2.5 and INN 1.4