BOCHS FOR WINDOWS AND RHL 5.0

Post by Velanc » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

I have installed Bochs for Windows, hoping that I can get RHL to run in the
emulator. I can't find any good and clear documentation on how to do this. The
instructions on the FAQ at the Bochs for Windows site is only for another
flavor of Linux, and I don't know what the proper image is to use or what to
set up in the bochsrc file.

Any assistance would very much be welcomed. Please send e-mail reply to

Regards,
Velanche Stewart

1. Installing FreeBSD under BOCHS (ports/emulators/bochs)

Hi,

I've been trying to get bochs 1.4.1 working under FreeBSD. The port
builds and installs fine but I am unable to get FreeBSD to act as a
guest OS. I've gone through the Bochs docs and searched the web/usenet
for answers without success.

I am having problems with the hard disk emulation, cdrom access, and
the ne2k emulation. Briefly, here are the problems:

1 Hard Disk emulation

During the FreeBSD boot process, FreeBSD is unable to find the disk,
though it does find the controller but is unable to find/access the
hard drive image.

ad0: Read command timeout ...
ad0: failed to reset ...

Additionally, no hard disk devices are displayed in the partitioning
menu in sysinstall.

Note, I was able to get OpenDOS to find the hard disk, so I'm pretty
sure I've got it setup alright. Also, FreeBSD 3.4 was able to locate
the drive and run fdisk on it (though disklabel failed).

2 CDROM

During device probes, Boch panics:
Event type: PANIC
Device: [CD   ]

choosing to continue bypasses the problem.

Unfortunately, sysinstall is unable to find the cdrom device (even
though it booted from it).

3 ne2k emuation

during boot process, Bochs panics:
Event type: PANIC
Device: [NE2K ]

choosing to continue bypasses the problem.

I am able to get FBSD to find the ne2k device (as ed0). It is also
successfully configured with an ip address and even sends packets
(verified with tcpdump). Unfortunately, it does not recieve packets.
It doesn't even respond to arp requrests.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. External CDROM for solaris/sparc machine.

3. Help: Printing to Epson Stylus under RHL 5.0

4. AIT2 autoloader: need Solaris_X86 SCSI query program (jukebox handler)

5. REAL PLAYER AND LD_LIBRARY PATH IN RHL 5.0

6. Postscript printing problem

7. system.fvwm2rc under RHL 5.0

8. how to say "copy everything except XXX"?

9. Sybase CTLib + glibc + ctsql + RHL 5.0 ???

10. Help: Kaffe under RHL 5.0

11. DEC 21041 (Tulip) Problems under RHL 5.0

12. Win98/RHL 5.0 partitioning on new drive

13. Micron Servers and RHL 5.0 - HELP!