Linux on second HD slows Win95 to a crawl

Linux on second HD slows Win95 to a crawl

Post by Jim McLar » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just installed SuSE Linux onto a second HD on my system. I used
Linux to partition, and format the new HD. I use LILO to boot either
to Win95 or Linux.

My problem is that Win95 runs slow. *Very* slow. If I disconnect the
second HD, and boot straight to Win95, things are back to normal. I've
tried removing the second HD from the device manager in Control panel,
but this makes no difference. Would putting a DOS partition on the
second drive help at all.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Jim McLaren
Fife, Scotland
jamesDOTmclarenATfarmlineDOTcom
Replace DOT with a dot to email me.

Linux on second HD slows Win95 to a crawl

Post by anonymou » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi Jim,

    Try moving your second harddrive to your second controller, that will
probably help. Putting a DOS partition there will not help. Would you post
what hard drive partition types are where? It might help us offer further
advice. Also check in the System applet in Control Panel, Performance tab,
to see if you're using compatibility mode in Win95.

Good luck!

>Hi,

>I've just installed SuSE Linux onto a second HD on my system. I used
>Linux to partition, and format the new HD. I use LILO to boot either
>to Win95 or Linux.

>My problem is that Win95 runs slow. *Very* slow. If I disconnect the
>second HD, and boot straight to Win95, things are back to normal. I've
>tried removing the second HD from the device manager in Control panel,
>but this makes no difference. Would putting a DOS partition on the
>second drive help at all.

>Anyone have any other ideas?

>Thanks

>Jim McLaren
>Fife, Scotland
>jamesDOTmclarenATfarmlineDOTcom
>Replace DOT with a dot to email me.

Linux on second HD slows Win95 to a crawl

Post by Jim McLar » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi anonymous,

Quote:>Try moving your second harddrive to your second controller, that will
>probably help.

I did, and it did thanks. Win95 runs fine now......just Linux won't :(

If I try to boot from the installation disk, I get as far as it
recognising all my IDE connections, and then it halts, and I get a
flashing cursor. On pressing Alt+F4, i get the following error
messages:

hdb: irq timeout: status=0x50    (this one I get four times, and then
hdd: ATAPI reset complete

This is followed by a few more of the first error message, and then:

end-request: I/O error, dev 03:40, sector Q

And then the cycle starts again.

My original setup when I had the Win95 problem was:

IDE 1: Master 6.4GB HDD (Win95), Slave 5.1GB HDD (Linux)
IDE2: Master LS120 drive (also floppy), Slave CDROM drive.

My current setup is:

IDE1: Master 6.4GB HDD (Win95), Slave CDROM drive
IDE2: Master 5.1 GB HDD (Linux), Slave LS120 drive.

Quote:>Control Panel, Performance tab,
>to see if you're using compatibility mode in Win95.

This says:

Memory  64MB
System resources  52% free (I've a lot of apps open at the moment)
File System  32 bit
Virtual memory  32 bit
Disk compression   Not Installed
PC cards     No PCMCIA sockets installed.

I am probably running compatibility mode, as I tried slaving the LS120
drive to my Win95 drive, and it was never going to boot up.

Hope this is enough info. Come back if you need more.

Cheers

Post by Mark Tranchan » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi anonymous,

> >Try moving your second harddrive to your second controller, that will
> >probably help.

> I did, and it did thanks. Win95 runs fine now......just Linux won't :(

> If I try to boot from the installation disk, I get as far as it
> recognising all my IDE connections, and then it halts, and I get a
> flashing cursor. On pressing Alt+F4, i get the following error
> messages:

> hdb: irq timeout: status=0x50    (this one I get four times, and then
> hdd: ATAPI reset complete

> This is followed by a few more of the first error message, and then:

> end-request: I/O error, dev 03:40, sector Q

> And then the cycle starts again.

OK. This is because your kernel is trying to boot from hdb - the slave
on the first controller - which you have moved to hdc - the master on
the secondary controller. When you boot, tell the kernel that your root
partition is now /dev/hdcX rather than /dev/hdbX. You should be able to
do this with the command line parameter root=/dev/hdcX (replace X with
the real number).

Once in, you may have to fix /etc/fstab, and re-direct the /dev/cdrom
link (which probably points to /dev/hdc, now hdd).

Mark.

1. Linux box slows to a crawl under light load

Happy New Year!

I have a P6-200 with 64MB of RAM on a T3. I am running a recent Slackware
distribution and kernel version 2.0.32. I use it to host about seven
rather high-volume web sites with Apache 1.2.4.

My problem, which just started occurring a week ago, is that with a hard
limit of 128 httpd processes (which I set in an attempt to fix the
problem), the machine starts to do everything very slowly. It seems that
no matter how low I set the limit on the number of httpd processes, it
chokes.

The strange thing is that ps reports that each httpd is using about 0.1
percent of the CPU, but uptime reports load averages of around 40, with
nothing else running except for essential daemons and processes.

An example of the slowness of the box: It takes over nine minutes to get
to a login prompt after a telnet connection!

Does anybody have an idea about why this is happening? I can provide more
information upon request.

Thanks for any help,
Ben

2. test

3. Help: Linux Slows To a Crawl.

4. Changing tabs to spaces

5. Linux: two 540 Mb HD or one 1GB HD

6. Internet through proxy

7. redhat 7.2 on prim drive, add win95 to second (small) hd

8. trying to dump.....pages

9. HELP: Booting Win95 on second HD from Solaris 2.5 boot manager

10. xdr nfs highmem deadlock fix [Re: filesystem access slowing system to a crawl]

11. RH 2.4.7-2 kernel slows to a crawl under heavy i/o

12. Diald + SLIP slows down to a crawl

13. Streams problem - systems slows to a crawl