Kernel panic on running newely compiled kernel

Kernel panic on running newely compiled kernel

Post by Nobby Kno » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi everyone.

I guess I have to mention that I'm new to Linux, so this should be a
simple problem.

Last night, I compiled a new kernel (2.2.13) on my RedHat 6.0 Intel
system. I followed the instructions in the HOWTO and kernel README, but
when I boot the new kernel, I get the following errors, and the system
hangs:

<error>

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errorno = 2
VFS: Cannot open root device 03:46

</error>

This is how I went about it:
After compiling the kernel, I copied /usr/src/linux-2.2.13/System.map to
/boot/System.map-2.2.13.

I created a symbolic link from System.map-2.2.13 to System.map.

I also copied /usr/src/linux-2.2.13/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to
/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13 and made the necessary symlink to the new kernel.

Then, I ran "mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.13.img 2.2.13" and updated
/etc/lilo.conf where I created a new section for my new kernel. After
that, I ran "lilo -v": no errors reported.

I got this problem before when trying to compile other kernels. So I
doubt if it is specific to the kernel I compiled last night. Also, I
suspect that the problem lies with the initial RAM disk (initrd), but I
can't be sure.

I would be very grateful if anyone can give me a push in the right
direction.

Thanks,
Nobby

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2

binfmt-464c is ELF binary support; you need it compiled into the kernel.
(The kernel wants to run some ELF binary, so it tries to load the
ELF-binaries module.  This will fail, because modprobe is an ELF binary.)

Quote:> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errorno = 2

block-major-3 has something to do with IDE support.  If this is relevant
to your system, you probably need to compile it into the kernel.

Quote:> VFS: Cannot open root device 03:46

Because the kernel couldn't talk to the root partition (probably because it
doesn't understand IDE), it has to give up.

--

Post by Hamid Misn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi everyone.

>I guess I have to mention that I'm new to Linux, so this should be a
>simple problem.

>Last night, I compiled a new kernel (2.2.13) on my RedHat 6.0 Intel
>system. I followed the instructions in the HOWTO and kernel README, but
>when I boot the new kernel, I get the following errors, and the system
>hangs:

><error>

>RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
>kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
>kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
>kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
>kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
>kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errorno = 2
>VFS: Cannot open root device 03:46
>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:46

Did you tried to modularised everything including the IDE and ELF? If yes, you
surely in a big trouble since your root device is in your IDE HD and your IDE
module is inside that HD. Reboot using your old kernel and recompile the new
kernel again, include the IDE, ELF and most important things inside your kernel
and modularised some non important stuff.

--

- Good girls go to heaven. Bad girls go everywhere!

Kernel panic on running newely compiled kernel

Post by Nobby Kno » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 2
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errorno = 2
> VFS: Cannot open root device 03:46

A big thank you to Paul Kimoto and Hamid Misnan who replied to my cry
for help. I will try what you suggested. Hopefully, I can run my first
self-compiled kernel tonight!

Regards,
Nobby

1. kernel panic on a 2.2.5 kernel new compile

I just compiled a new kernel that I downloaded, I configured it as best
I knew how, but I must have missed something

I get this just before it hangs

request-modules[ide-disk]: Root fs not mounted
hdb: driver not present
VFS: cannot open root device 03:41

I saved my old kernel and put both in lilo.conf so I can boot fine with
the 2.2.3-ac4 kernel that I was using.

The machine is a PII 266 - with 80 meg ram
win98 is on the first hard drive hda1 is the partition that I mount to
see it
lilo resides on hda
linux is on the second drive

2. rpcbind renamed by os or system hacked?

3. I just compiled kernel 2.0.1 and now I getr a kernel panic!

4. need XWindows help

5. compiling ANY new kernel gives "Kernel Panic"...HELP!

6. Linux CDROM Setup

7. Help!I just compiled kernel 2.0.1 and now I get a kernel panic!

8. NFS LINUX + NFS AIX

9. Help meeee!!I just compiled kernel 2.0.1 and now I get a kernel panic!!

10. Kernel panic on boot up of newly compiled kernel

11. Help!I just compiled kernel 2.0.1 and now I get a kernel panic!!

12. Help!I just compiled kernel 2.0.1 and now I get a kernel panic!

13. Kernel panic after compiling new kernel... help!