WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH PRINTER SETUP! IM FREAKING OUT HERE!

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH PRINTER SETUP! IM FREAKING OUT HERE!

Post by THOMAS GREGORY PENDLETO » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I HAVE BEEN TOYING AROUND WITH LINUX FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS, AND I AM
STILL A COMPLETE MORON! ..........HELP ME SPOCK!
I STARTED RUNNING LINUX WITH SLACKWARE THEN I GOT THE INFO MAGIC
DEVELOPERS RESOURCE KIT WHICH HAD RED HAT AND DEBIAN. I HAVE HAD
MODERATE SUCESS COMPILING THE KERNEL, THOUGH I COULD NEVER GET MY ACER
SOUNDCARD OR BJ200 PRINTER TO WORK!
RECENTLY I PURCHACED CALDERAS DESKTOP WHICH RUNS ON RED HAT. THE EASY
INSTALLATION WAS NOT SO EASY BUT AFTER CREATING A LILO.CONF I WAS UP AND
RUNNING..........BUT NO PRINTER.
I HAVE READ THE HOW TO AND STILL I AM STUPID.
I HAVE SETUP THE PRINTCAP AND CREATED A COMMAND LINE IN LILO TO FIRE UP
MY LP (lp=0x378,7) but still I get no print WORD!
HELP ME ...............SANCTUARY!

Post by thomas smit » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I HAVE BEEN TOYING AROUND WITH LINUX FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS, AND I AM
> STILL A COMPLETE MORON! ..........HELP ME SPOCK!
> I STARTED RUNNING LINUX WITH SLACKWARE THEN I GOT THE INFO MAGIC
> DEVELOPERS RESOURCE KIT WHICH HAD RED HAT AND DEBIAN. I HAVE HAD
> MODERATE SUCESS COMPILING THE KERNEL, THOUGH I COULD NEVER GET MY ACER
> SOUNDCARD OR BJ200 PRINTER TO WORK!
> RECENTLY I PURCHACED CALDERAS DESKTOP WHICH RUNS ON RED HAT. THE EASY
> INSTALLATION WAS NOT SO EASY BUT AFTER CREATING A LILO.CONF I WAS UP AND
> RUNNING..........BUT NO PRINTER.
> I HAVE READ THE HOW TO AND STILL I AM STUPID.
> I HAVE SETUP THE PRINTCAP AND CREATED A COMMAND LINE IN LILO TO FIRE UP
> MY LP (lp=0x378,7) but still I get no print WORD!
> HELP ME ...............SANCTUARY!

  Isn't there a RedHat Control Panel Printer Setup ? Can't you just select your
printer and be 'good to go' ?
BTW: before I went to RedHat, I fiddled with the printing Howto's forever...it never
worked for me..until I downloaded and installed the 'apsfilter' program. So I guess
we're both idiots. With RedHat, my ol Panasonic 24ping Dot printer worked fine, and
when I switched to the HPDeskjet600, no problem either! I can even print color.

-thomas-
--
"Daddy, why will this magnet pick up
that nail but won't pick up your Linux

http://www.prado.com/~trsmith

Post by KMA Computer Solutio » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>> I HAVE BEEN TOYING AROUND WITH LINUX FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS, AND I AM
>> STILL A COMPLETE MORON! ..........HELP ME SPOCK!
>> I STARTED RUNNING LINUX WITH SLACKWARE THEN I GOT THE INFO MAGIC
>> DEVELOPERS RESOURCE KIT WHICH HAD RED HAT AND DEBIAN. I HAVE HAD
>> MODERATE SUCESS COMPILING THE KERNEL, THOUGH I COULD NEVER GET MY ACER
>> SOUNDCARD OR BJ200 PRINTER TO WORK!

The bj200 is directly supported by ghostscript (I had an earlier post
about how to turn a normal printer into a postscript printer)

Try switching /dev/lp0 to /dev/lp1 in /etc/printcap

This seems to be necessary for ECP and EPP ports. (io moved I think).

Quote:>  Isn't there a RedHat Control Panel Printer Setup ? Can't you just select your
>printer and be 'good to go' ?

Yes, it works very nicely! :)

Quote:>BTW: before I went to RedHat, I fiddled with the printing Howto's forever...it never
>worked for me..until I downloaded and installed the 'apsfilter' program. So I guess
>we're both idiots. With RedHat, my ol Panasonic 24ping Dot printer worked fine, and
>when I switched to the HPDeskjet600, no problem either! I can even print color.

RedHat, at least 3.0.3, did a nice job with configuration.

>-thomas-
>--
>"Daddy, why will this magnet pick up
>that nail but won't pick up your Linux
>boot floppy ?!!??!!??

>http://www.prado.com/~trsmith

Keith Moore
Senior Software Engineer

--

// * KMA Computer Solutions, Inc.  Network Consulting - Novell, TCP/IP * //
// *   Software Consulting - C/C++, COBOL : UN*X, OS/2, NT, Win95, DOS * //

1. I am looking for an IM program that is client-server

I appologize if this is the wrong newsgroup to ask this question in.  If
it is, feel free to flame me but just make sure you include where I
should have posted my message in the flame :)

I was wondering if there are any instant message programs on linux or
unix that actually works by client-server so that it is possible to
download and set up the server.  I know that there is a program that is
not out yet called Jabber that will have this ability.

If there really are a ton of these types of instant message programs
that have a downloadable server, could someone just tell me what (in
their opinion if necessary) the top 3 are of this type?  Thanks a lot
for your time.  Please be sure to email me the reply to

2. Help: Linux and ATI mach 32 !!!

3. HELP - Im am a complete idiot!!

4. USB memory hotplug on S9 adn Sunray

5. SLIP - Im SO CLOSE! What am I missing??

6. cinelerra for ppc?

7. Boca printer to ran pin outs

8. uugetty refuses to work or compile

9. named configuartion in a ppp setup - time outs

10. im unable to setup ttySx

11. Hi im trying to setup 2 static ip's on one nic is it posible

12. Dealing with duplex,... printer with Solaris 7

13. What's the deal with RedHat and printer port not working?