ipchain or iptables

Post by runnersa » Tue, 28 May 2002 22:21:24

which firewall is pre-setted in red hat 7.3?  iptables or ipchain?  since i
want to change the settting.  by the way, where can i find the config file?
thanks.

ipchain or iptables

Post by Chief » Wed, 29 May 2002 04:54:01

27 May 2002 13:21 UTC, runnersam typed:

Quote:> which firewall is pre-setted in red hat 7.3?  iptables or ipchain?  since i
> want to change the settting.  by the way, where can i find the config file?
> thanks.

Depends on the kernel version (probably iptables):

 2.4.xx kernels - iptables
 2.2.xx kernels - ipchains
 2.0.xx kernels - ipfwadm

Regards.

--
Speed.

ipchain or iptables

Post by Chris Coyl » Wed, 29 May 2002 05:34:58

> 27 May 2002 13:21 UTC, runnersam typed:
> > which firewall is pre-setted in red hat 7.3?  iptables or ipchain?  since i
> > want to change the settting.  by the way, where can i find the config file?
> > thanks.

> Depends on the kernel version (probably iptables):

>  2.4.xx kernels - iptables
>  2.2.xx kernels - ipchains
>  2.0.xx kernels - ipfwadm

> Regards.

> --
> Speed.

Slow down,

On my RH7.2 (with kernel 2.4.something) its using ipchains,
set up by default.
The initscript for iptables checks whether ipchains is running,
and then (since ipchains is already up) doees nothing.

ipchain or iptables

Post by Chief » Wed, 29 May 2002 07:44:49

27 May 2002 20:34 UTC, Chris Coyle typed:

Quote:> On my RH7.2 (with kernel 2.4.something) its using ipchains,
> set up by default.
> The initscript for iptables checks whether ipchains is running,
> and then (since ipchains is already up) doees nothing.

It is possible to build ipchains (even ipfwadm) support into 2.4.xx
series kernels but it doesn't appear to be recommended. It seems that
iptables is the better of the three.

Regards.

--
Speed.

ipchain or iptables

Post by Kevin Passe » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 17:15:24

If you are new to this I'd say disable both and use firestarter. It creates
a startup firewall script and then switches on IPTABLES. also it's free and
it's easy!!

http://firestarter.sourceforge.org

Regards

Quote:> which firewall is pre-setted in red hat 7.3?  iptables or ipchain?  since
> want to change the settting.  by the way, where can i find the config
file?
> thanks.

ipchain or iptables

Post by runnersa » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 20:41:01

thank you.  that mean i need to install iptables?  will it  conflict with
ipchains which is pre-setted in red hat 7.3?

> If you are new to this I'd say disable both and use firestarter. It
creates
> a startup firewall script and then switches on IPTABLES. also it's free
and
> it's easy!!

> http://firestarter.sourceforge.org

> Regards

> > which firewall is pre-setted in red hat 7.3?  iptables or ipchain?
since
> > want to change the settting.  by the way, where can i find the config
> file?
> > thanks.

ipchain or iptables

Post by Kevin Passe » Mon, 03 Jun 2002 01:15:19

you should have iptables installed by default just untick them both once you
have installed firestarter.

The script that firestarter generates switches on IPTABLES when you startup
your PC.

Good luck

Kev

> thank you.  that mean i need to install iptables?  will it  conflict with
> ipchains which is pre-setted in red hat 7.3?

> > If you are new to this I'd say disable both and use firestarter. It
> creates
> > a startup firewall script and then switches on IPTABLES. also it's free
> and
> > it's easy!!

> > http://firestarter.sourceforge.org

> > Regards

> > > which firewall is pre-setted in red hat 7.3?  iptables or ipchain?
> since
> > > want to change the settting.  by the way, where can i find the config
> > file?
> > > thanks.

ipchain or iptables

Post by runnersa » Mon, 03 Jun 2002 09:34:52

thanks.  i will try.

> you should have iptables installed by default just untick them both once
you
> have installed firestarter.

> The script that firestarter generates switches on IPTABLES when you
startup
> your PC.

> Good luck

> Kev

> > thank you.  that mean i need to install iptables?  will it  conflict
with
> > ipchains which is pre-setted in red hat 7.3?

> > > If you are new to this I'd say disable both and use firestarter. It
> > creates
> > > a startup firewall script and then switches on IPTABLES. also it's
free
> > and
> > > it's easy!!

> > > http://firestarter.sourceforge.org

> > > Regards

> > since
> > > file?

1. ipchains/iptables question

I was reading on how to setup a firewall using iptables but then I just
read the following on RH site about firewall Configuration

"Red Hat Linux 7.1 makes it easier than ever to configure your system as
a firewall. Below are some caveats and notes on the topic.
Firewall Configuration During Installation

For added security, you can now configure a firewall as part of your
system installation. You may choose from two levels of security and
select which common system services are allowed or disallowed by default.

Please note that both "medium" and "high" firewall settings will cause
RPC-based services (such as NIS or NFS) to be blocked, and thus fail.
Reconfiguring a Firewall After Installation

To reconfigure your firewall settings, open a root terminal and type:

Once inside this program, select the Firewall configuration option. The
text-based firewall configuration tool used by setup is called lokkit.
If you are in X you may also type gnome-lokkit.

(NOTE: Firewall settings created by lokkit utilize only ipchains, not
iptables. More on this below...)
Ipchains and Firewall Configuration

Ipchains rules can be activated by any lokkit-based firewall
configuration tool or by hand under both Red Hat Linux 7.0 and 7.1. The
7.1 installer uses ipchains-based firewall configuration for
compatibility reasons. System administrators who already employ
ipchain-based firewalls should begin to migrate their scripts to
iptables before the release of 7.2.

Iptables is the default firewall mechanism under the 2.4 kernel, but it
cannot be used if ipchains are already running. This is because ipchains
take precedence over iptables. At boot time, the kernel activates
ipchains before attempting to activate iptables. If ipchains are
present, the kernel will issue an error and fail to start iptables.

(NOTE: These boot error messages are normal and do not effect the
functionality of your ipchains.) "

Does this mean that my default install uses IPchains and not iptables?
I can use my old ipchains script?
If I wanted to use iptables I have to rebuild the kernel?
If I run lokkit and set it to (low or no) firewall could I then use
iptables?
Thx

2. Once again: Large Filesystems on Open Server 5

3. ipchains vs iptables

4. RedHat 6 Installation Problems

5. Newbie-IPCHAINS or IPTABLE

6. help!!

7. ipchains or iptables?

8. accidental: rm /sbin/*user*

9. ipchains -> iptables == NO Data FTP

10. Iptables to Ipchains

11. ipchains, iptables, ipmasqadm .... I′m confused

12. what is the difference between ipchains & iptables

13. Ipchains/Iptables newbie