Linux install from DOS partition on hard drive?

Linux install from DOS partition on hard drive?

Post by Justin Heman » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have an IBM Thinkpad laptop that does NOT have a CD-ROM drive.  I can,
however, access CDs by connecting to a PC with a CD-ROM drive and
running a Windows program.  I'd like to install Red Hat Linux 4.2, which
comes on a CD.  Could this method work:

1.  Re-partition laptop hard drive into DOS and Linux partitions.
2.  Connect the laptop to a PC with a CD-ROM and copy CD to the laptop
DOS partition.
3.  Boot the laptop in Linux with a floppy boot disk, then mount the DOS
directory with the copied files from the CD.
4.  Perform a hard drive install.

While I have your attention, how big should the Linux partition be for a
Red Hat installation with X-windows, TeX and LaTeX, and some development
tools like dbx?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Justin
--
To reply by email, remove the text "-remove-" from the email address.

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I have an IBM Thinkpad laptop that does NOT have a CD-ROM drive.  I can,
> however, access CDs by connecting to a PC with a CD-ROM drive and
> running a Windows program.  I'd like to install Red Hat Linux 4.2, which
> comes on a CD.  Could this method work:

> 1.  Re-partition laptop hard drive into DOS and Linux partitions.
> 2.  Connect the laptop to a PC with a CD-ROM and copy CD to the laptop
> DOS partition.
> 3.  Boot the laptop in Linux with a floppy boot disk, then mount the DOS
> directory with the copied files from the CD.
> 4.  Perform a hard drive install.

Yes, this is supposed to work.

Quote:> While I have your attention, how big should the Linux partition be for a
> Red Hat installation with X-windows, TeX and LaTeX, and some development
> tools like dbx?

Erm, see the manual, it tells you.

1. Linux install from Hard Drive corrupted my DOS partition

I put the Linux installation packages on my DOS partition, and installed from
the harddrive (I was installing SLS). The installation worked fine, and Linux
was happy. However, something in my DOS partition got corrupted, and I had
what was reported as "cross-linked files" by my disk checker. Anybody know
what a "cross-linked file" is, and why Linux could have caused them?

--
Scott Barker

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."
   - Voltaire

2. HELP! Xwin/SLIP connect?

3. Reformatting Linux Hard Drive Partition to DOS format again

4. UI to switch between XF86Config files

5. slackware 3.5 install - install from win95/dos hard drive?

6. Strange video problem

7. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

8. kernel-2.4.21-final drivers/char/keyboard.c - key release bug

9. Installing 3 versions of linux on one hard drive - help me partition it please

10. HELP - Install Linux on Last Partition of a 30 GB Hard Drive?

11. Linux 5.0 Install Destroyed Hard Drive Partition

12. Partitioning my hard drive before installing LINUX: Help!

13. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive