A newbie would like to upgrade to Red 5.2 from 4.2: any suggestions

A newbie would like to upgrade to Red 5.2 from 4.2: any suggestions

Post by fcont » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm a newbie to RH. I have a linux box with RH 4.2 on it and would like
to upgrade too the RH 5.2 version that came with SAM's "Red Hat
Unleashed" book.

Here's what RH's web site says about upgrading..

"The installation process for Red Hat Linux 6.1 includes the ability to
upgrade from prior versions of Red Hat Linux (2.0 through 6.0,
inclusive) which are based on
RPM technology. Upgrading your system installs the modular 2.2.x kernel
as well as updated versions of the packages that are installed on your
machine. The
upgrade process preserves existing configuration files using a .rpmsave
extension (e.g., sendmail.cf.rpmsave) and leaves a log telling what
actions it took in
/tmp/upgrade.log. As software evolves, configuration file formats can
change, so you should carefully compare your original configuration
files to the new files
before integrating your changes."

I have two questions

How does one safely mount the CDs
Can I use the existing package manager in my windows manager?

A newbie would like to upgrade to Red 5.2 from 4.2: any suggestions

Post by Bit Twist » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Save your self alot of trouble, get the Redhat 6.1 Install cds
under Cheapbytes CDs at
http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
for about $3.50 plus shipping and do a clean install.

--
The warrenty and liability expired as you read the message.
Do a,  man every_command_here, before doing anything else.

A newbie would like to upgrade to Red 5.2 from 4.2: any suggestions

Post by Erwin Ad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Agree. I tried to upgrade by downloading the kernel files, but then
after installation & reboot, my system doesn't recognize some settings.
(Please comment if you know why this is).

And I tried to dowload the patch, but my manual book only says how
to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2. I don't know if I can jump from 5.1
to 6.1 directly with patches?

Then I finally install clean the whole thing, using boot.img for
ftp. This was free, but it was 5-hour download on a cable modem.
I had to do it twice because the download hangs sometime to the
end, on the first time. The download obviously takes some more
time if you use 56kbps modem so a $3.5 CD is much worth!