PCMCIA 3c589C on Laptop - HELP

Post by Jeffrey F. Bro » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello all-

Does anyone have any ideas about how to set up TCP/IP networking on a 3c589 PCMCIA network card?
I have followed the HOWTO's religiously, and already have linux networking functioning on
my other home machines, but this one just won't seem to connect.  SYMPTOMS:

1) cardmgr starts at boot, successfully detects the device, assigns it eth0, and claims to
be using the right port (I'm using 10base2).  The light on the transciever lights continually
until the network configuration script is run (see 2)

2) then it executes /etc/pcmcia/network start eth0 and the following happens:
        a) the light on the transciever turns off,
        b) iconfig shows the eth0 device with all the correct network parameters,
        c) ping fails to recognize ANYTHING else on the network - NOTE it does not say
        "network is un-reachable" but rather sits there timing-out with no response.
        d) the light on the transciever does not blink when I am trying to ping another machine.

3) I have followed David Hinds PCMCIA networking guide religiously, and tried restricting
interrupts  and ports in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.  Nothing seems to fix this.

I'll include copies of some of my configuration files below.  Do I have a bad card????

Many thanks,
                Jeff Brock

* /etc/pcmcia/config:

#
# config.sample 1.55 1997/06/04 15:08:37 (David Hinds)
#

# config.opts is now included at the very end

#
# Device driver definitions
#
device "3c589_cs"
  class "network" module "3c589_cs"

...etc..

* /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:

#
# Local PCMCIA Configuration File
#
# System resources available for PCMCIA devices
#
include port 0x100-0x3ff, memory 0xd0000-0xdffff
#
# Extra port range for IBM Token Ring
#
include port 0xa20-0xa27
#
#
# First built-in serial port
exclude irq 4
# Second built-in serial port
exclude irq 3
# First built-in parallel port
exclude irq 7
#
# Options for loadable modules
#
# To fix sluggish network with IBM ethernet adapter...
#module "pcnet_cs" opts "mem_speed=600"
#
# Options for Xircom Netwave driver...
#module "xircnw_cs" opts "domain=0x100 scramble_key=0x0"

* /etc/pcmcia/network:  has not been changed from the install.

* /ect/pcmcia/network.opts:

# Network adapter configuration
#
# The address format is "scheme,socket,instance,hwaddr".
#
# Note: the "network address" here is NOT the same as the IP address.
# See the Networking HOWTO.  In short, the network address is the IP
# address masked by the netmask.
#
case "$ADDRESS" in
*,*,*,*)
# Transceiver selection, for cards that need it -- see 'man ifport'
IF_PORT="10base2"
# Use BOOTP [y/n]
BOOTP="n"
# IP address
IPADDR="192.168.0.3"
# Netmask
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
# Network address
NETWORK="192.168.0.0"
# Broadcast address
BROADCAST="192.168.0.255"
# Gateway address
GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"
# Domain name
DOMAIN="hip.berkeley.edu"
# Nameserver #1
DNS_1=""
# Nameserver #2
DNS_2=""
# Nameserver #3
DNS_3=""
# NFS mounts, should be listed in /etc/fstab
MOUNTS=""
# For IPX interfaces, the frame type (i.e., 802.2)
IPX_FRAME=""
# For IPX interfaces, the network number
IPX_NETNUM=""
# Extra stuff to do after setting up the interface
start_fn () { return }
# Extra stuff to do before shutting down the interface stop_fn () { return }
;;
esac

PCMCIA 3c589C on Laptop - HELP

Post by Eric Larso » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> # IP address
> IPADDR="192.168.0.3"
> # Netmask
> NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
> # Network address
> NETWORK="192.168.0.0"
> # Broadcast address
> BROADCAST="192.168.0.255"
> # Gateway address
> GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

==========

Weird addresses.  I don't think you're supposed to use a "0" as a subnet
address.  I know that CIDR allows routing on 0's and 1's, now, but the
use of a 0 in the position you have it would be novel.  If you are
supposed to be using a "0" here, then I wonder if your subnet mask is
correct?

You've also not listed any DNS servers.  The above addresses, combined
with the lack of any DNS entries, would lead me to suggest a thorough
reexamination of TCP/IP addresses.

If you're just trying to set up a private net (i.e. at home), then
at least get rid of the "0" in the machine, broadcast, and gateway
addresses.

Eric Larson

(remove the name-dash for e-mail)